Couple of Questions

Argblat

Greenie
Nov 18, 2008
Hi all,

I have recently gotten back in to collecting after dabbling in it as a young boy after stumbling across my late grandfather's collection.

In order to try to fill some of my dime and nickel books I was visiting the bank and ordering coins and going through them. Little did I know there was a term for this, let alone an entire message board devoted to it. Having discovered "Coin Roll Hunting" and the value of older (usually silver) coins, has made going through the rolls from the bank that much more enjoyable.

I do, however, have a few questions for the experts:
1. I have seen a few people mention their Brinks orders. Is it possible to order boxes and/or bags from companies like Brinks directly to the your house or are you referring to purchases via a bank and the bank is doing business with Brinks?

2. How do you return (or "dump") coins after going through them. I'm lucky enough to have a TD Bank with a Penny Arcade near my home but, if that were not the case, then what? Are there other banks or facilities that have this service, for free I might add, since obviously CoinStar is an option but who wants to pay the fees. Along the same lines how does one return hand rolled coins to a bank? How does the bank verify that you have the right amount of coins in the roll and that your not gaming them with slugs in the middle or something like that?

And to add to the fun of finds ... I recently went through a box of nickels trying to fill a Whitman vol. 1 book and found a 1909 Liberty Head which was pretty cool (along with 1 war nickel and a keeper for my book)

Thanks in advance for any answers. Looking forward to vising the board more often and posting my finds.
-Mike

Upvote 0

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Hey Mike, welcome aboard.

Regarding Brinks, Loomis, etc. they will only deliver to the banking facility (bank, CU, etc.) We all wish they'd deliver to our homes! Or, maybe not, as that would arouse suspicion.

As far as dumps, if your facility has a customer use machine, have at it. Mine doesn't, so I hand re-roll all my halves. I deposit them every week and the tellers are so used to me coming in they don't even bother to count the rolls sometimes. They just process my deposit ticket, and I'm out the door. YMMV. Don't dump where you pick up, though, for obvious reasons. :tongue3:

I'm sure you'll get lots of other advice. Don't listen to it. I'm the only one who knows what they're talking about. ;D Seriously, there is TONS of knowledge here. Read everything, then read it again.

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ramjet answered your questions the same as I would have.
Welcome aboard.

Legend

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are the longest couple of questions Ive ever seen :laughing9:

There is a post on here somewhere that explains EVERYTHING in great detail..Tried to find it..but had no luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread