Why cant people just keep quite

Joe*

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2011
Wausau WI
Re: Why can't people just keep quite

As silver continues to increase in value, so will circulating silver coins decrease. Throwing articles like this out there only speeds this process up.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Akhuntr said:
I just read my current copy of Lost Treasure and low and behold right there on page 18 is and article entitled "The Silver Clad Half". Why do people insist on screwing a good thing up ??? ??? ???

I've been saying the same thing for over 30 years.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Funny the OP and the first response are new members and I assume new to CRH and they are complaining about spreading the word....

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other

Really, when it comes down to it, most people aren't even going to bother. Yes, sure, it -sounds- like an easy way to make lots of money, but that isn't how it is in reality. It's really easy to read a few posts of people getting 15 skunk boxes in a row and think that it isn't too bad... But actually experiencing a skunk box for several weeks in a row will discourage all but the most persistent CRH-ers. Plus, as of now, the only outlets advertising CRHing are targeted towards metal detectors and coin collectors, people who, no doubt, know of CRHing in at least a rudimentary form (for example, if you see that a teller has a Peace Dollar or a Walker, you buy it) and know that 1965-70 coins are 40% silver. The only things that would be new revelations to them would be the techniques (such as dealing with large volumes of coins, dump banks, dumping out of district, etc.) for going through coins on a very large scale.

Really, the vast majority of people are ignorant of our coinage. I'm sure we all as CRHers have had experiences where a cashier didn't know what a half dollar was. And we enjoy our hobby because people don't know what their coins are worth. I don't think that this is going to change anytime soon.

mightyzep

Dec 5, 2007

I think the reason people can't keep "quite" is the same reason they can't always spell. PT Barnum said "You can't underestimate the intelligence of the American people." He also reportedly said something close to my heart, "Every crowd has a silver lining."

I'm trying to be an optimist here, but lately my experience with banks shows that the quality of the people who work there is not too high. It seems like they are dressed up children behind the counter. I had a teller make me give her my driver's license and sign a receipt and count each half when I tried to exchange 5 rolls of halfs for 2 twentys and a ten. Then she put them into a whole bunch of piles of twos, so every pile was a dollar. Then I had to wait while she put them all back into their rolls. I'm sure that must be more accurate than counting them all up and dividing by 2 to get the total. Then I had a guy take my 10 half rolls, and write something on each one, then carefully wrap the 10 rolls in rubber bands then put a note on it that said $100. I wonder if he does that every time someone gives him 10 tens or 20 fives? Anther bank where I had an account would not even change 1 roll of halfs. They wanted me to deposit them only, and if I try to deposit more than 4 rolls at once they charge 10 cents a roll to take them.

These same people let silver slip past them daily, and I think we should not be surprised. As the value of silver goes up, whether or not more people get into CRH is a good question. I guess they do. I myself got my first box a few weeks ago, after getting a roll at a time for years. Since I don't want to promote this hobby too much I won't tally what I got. Suffice it to say I ordered another box.

kalebdad

Sep 24, 2010

I have gotten some heavy local competition here in the past two months. More and more Tellers telling me they have $700 in halves. I know what that means.... Or the someone was just in here. Looks like the Silver Paint Pen is going to see some action ..... :laughing7:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Akhuntr said:
I just read my current copy of Lost Treasure and low and behold right there on page 18 is and article entitled "The Silver Clad Half". Why do people insist on screwing a good thing up ??? ??? ???

I'm cynical and I just think it comes down to personal benefit and greed. Writers on magazines look for the next best article. They probably don't care about CRH and probably don't do it themselves. They just want a juicy article to sell papers so they keep their jobs or advance at their jobs. I think if they cared so much about it, they wouldn't be publishing articles about it.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Generic_Lad said:
Really, when it comes down to it, most people aren't even going to bother. Yes, sure, it -sounds- like an easy way to make lots of money, but that isn't how it is in reality. It's really easy to read a few posts of people getting 15 skunk boxes in a row and think that it isn't too bad... But actually experiencing a skunk box for several weeks in a row will discourage all but the most persistent CRH-ers. Plus, as of now, the only outlets advertising CRHing are targeted towards metal detectors and coin collectors, people who, no doubt, know of CRHing in at least a rudimentary form (for example, if you see that a teller has a Peace Dollar or a Walker, you buy it) and know that 1965-70 coins are 40% silver. The only things that would be new revelations to them would be the techniques (such as dealing with large volumes of coins, dump banks, dumping out of district, etc.) for going through coins on a very large scale.

Really, the vast majority of people are --deleted-- of our coinage. I'm sure we all as CRHers have had experiences where a cashier didn't know what a half dollar was. And we enjoy our hobby because people don't know what their coins are worth. I don't think that this is going to change anytime soon.

Yep you are so right..... CRH is not for everyone .... I tried it a couple of times got skunked both times and never tried it again.
You people are a special breed my hat is off to you. :icon_thumleft:

I believe that because of your tenacity and dedication that you are probably successful at anything you put your minds to. :icon_salut:

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

I have absolutely NO problem with folks knowing about coin roll hunting. So long as they are pulled out of circulation by collectors that is. These silver coins have traded hands possibly hundreds of times maybe more until they find a collector to put them away. Then at some point those collectors of relatives of those collectors trade them again, or take them to the bank for someone else to find. For me the ONLY REAL TRAGEDY is when they are melted down in exchange for some dirty green dollar bills with no real value. And that is something id be more concerned about as oppose to more collectors getting in on the act.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JD-GA said:
I have absolutely NO problem with folks knowing about coin roll hunting. So long as they are pulled out of circulation by collectors that is. These silver coins have traded hands possibly hundreds of times maybe more until they find a collector to put them away. Then at some point those collectors of relatives of those collectors trade them again, or take them to the bank for someone else to find. For me the ONLY REAL TRAGEDY is when they are melted down in exchange for some dirty green dollar bills with no real value. And that is something id be more concerned about as oppose to more collectors getting in on the act.

I have to echo your sediments exactly. I am going to try and keep all my AG and AU until it is time to retire, hopefully silver will be around $100.00 and gold around 2,000. I have 15 years left to accumulate enough to supplement the wild lifestyle my wife and I will
enjoy one we no longer have to get up at 5:00 a.m. to go to work.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions