FINAL UPDATE: Suntrust Froze (Update: Cancelled) My Accounts!

usatc

Nov 28, 2008
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I used to order two boxes of halves a month from Suntrust and then they decided to stop ordering them for me because "it cost too much". Because of this I found another bank and after making friends with the head teller who orders I learned I can order as much as I want b/c they pay a flat order/pickup fee. I have been moving about $6,000 a month of halves for the last three months (I mainly deposit at Suntrust branches because they stopped ordering for me) and today I tried to deposit and cash $1,000 in halves at a Suntrust and after waiting 20 minutes was told that I couldn't exchange my halves for cash.

I deposited $3,000 in cash from other boxes I had deposited (I spread deposits between banks to not overload them) before I left and on the way home talked to my wife who said she couldn't access our accounts online. I called and was told that I had some sort of freeze on my account where I can't withdraw money (but they let me deposit my money and didn't mention I couldn't touch it). Calling this evening I was told that the department that put a freeze on my account was closed until Monday. I only deposit to one account but both of our accounts are now frozen!

I have never had a single dollar short in boxes I deposited and don't know what's going on. Can anybody help!?!

***** Update ******

I've been trying to figure out the issue with their customer service and they told me I have a "No Debit" hold on my account. I have nothing negative against my account and that "it is strange there are no notes on why this is against your accounts".

Yay Suntrust.

***** Update ******

The customer service supervisor said they can't help me because the department that would help me is closed until Monday. I did find out that my local bank in my neighborhood (the manager to be exact) is the one who put this "No Debit" hold on my account (it's been there since at least Monday, with no notification to me). I got the regional manager's address to send them a complaint and will go to the branch Monday and close our savings account and leave the other open with a minimum balance... from now on rather than depositing at different banks to not overload them every coin I go through is going to this branch.

Oh, and they said they can freeze my money if it is due to a security concern (heaven forbid they notify me though)

**** Final Update ****

So long story short Suntrust is closing both my wife's account (who has been with Suntrust for many years) and my account (which was opened recently so I could do business in Florida).

The "No Debit" hold was "an accident". Basically the manager at my local branch decided I was depositing too much rolled change (in Dec. they offered me bags to bring it in loose but I declined because I wanted to save the 3% fee). The fraud department and I played phone tag with each other today but I was able to go into the problem branch today to deposit change (because they were being difficult I didn't break up my last $1,500 in halves between two banks like I normally did). Unfortunately I was told after the deposit that I couldn't talk to the manager because she was in a "4-5pm conference call and couldn't be disturbed").

What was funny was I asked the teller then (before I knew all this) if there was a limit in how much rolled change I could bring in and she said there wasn't. I left because they closed at 4pm but went back through the drive through and asked the teller if the manager could call me after talking again to the fraud department and they had no clue what was going on. After a few minutes I was told that the fraud hold on my account was in error (no apology for freezing our accounts for a week) and that it was being closed because of the too much change thing. Mind you, this is the exact same teller who told me that I could deposit change with no charge. I asked her about this she paused and then said that "in your initial paperwork with the bank we said we could close your account for any reason we see fit". I then called her on the fact she literally 15 minutes prior told me there was no limit and then she repeated what she just said.

So the reason my accounts were frozen was an error, and now I find out that this manger closed my account because I deposited too much change (again, my wife had all her paychecks direct deposited for years/used the bank as her main bank and I never deposited/withdrew to her account).

So I'm thinking now of writing some members of their executive staff (real letter) expression my disappointment and unhappiness with the utter disregard to customer service, follow up, my wife's account and history, and so on and so on.

My wife, my family, and her family are in utter astonishment as well. I really can't believe this is happening.

Upvote 0

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Re: Suntrust Froze My Accounts!

Is this even legal?? I've never heard of such a thing....you might want to talk to a lawyer....

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS

ya, thats definitely not legal!!! they cannot take your money like that, say nothing, say you cant access it, on an account thats active, and money is coming through, including your wifes account too! thats sooo against the law! if they try to defend it, say that you NEED to see in writing where it says they can do that, and if they fail to prove written records (and if its in crayon, on a MickyD's napkin that doesnt count) i too would get a lawyer involved...so, unless youve been robing banks lately, they cant do that haha...good luck on suing their asses, eeerr, i mean getting your money back :laughing9:

Syrys

Oct 2, 2010

Sounds like they suspect you of money laundering or some other illegal activity. I would be there first thing monday morning and have a serious talk with the manager. You might also need to call someone higher up about what's going on. Good luck

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_scratch:

Keep us posted!!!

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

I'm sure it can be worked out in the end.. You did nothing wrong.. even if your rolls were short, they would just deduct the difference from your account.

I think you can benefit from this because it was their mistake even if they thought you were involved with money laundering, they were wrong and they stopped your account without facts to support money laundering causing you inconvenience. What if you had a bill you had to pay but couldn't because they froze your account? There is a way to get back at them without going to an attorney. I don't know the civil laws well personally and it also depends on the laws in your state but read about what type of compensation you may get because a company caused you undue burden. Go to small claims court. As a company or bank, any court mandated appearance will cause them to pay for an attorney or a legal representative. How much do you think they would pay a legal representative or attorney to represent them in small claims court (attorneys charge $300/hr while you don't need one because it's small claims court)? In fact, many companies and businesses would rather settle out of court than go to court because it costs them a ton of money to be represented. This tactic has been used by many including companies who simply want to shake other people down. Some do this even knowing that they'll lose in court but they got back at the other party because it costed them too much money to defend themselves in court.

I wished that this scenario would happen to me. My bank freezing my account without warning while me having done nothing wrong. I would make sure they pay one way or another.

I read an article about some attorney that made a million bucks just by sueing companies for spaming him. We all know that some companies still spam you even if you told them no. No one cares about spam because one can just delete them. This guy went after the companies in small claims court. Some of the companies paid him to settle his suit rather than going to court and he also won a couple judgements in court against some companies as well. Over time, he made like a million dollars.

EpicDeuce

Dec 2, 2010

USATC That's wild. That exact same thing happened to me yesterday. Seriously, I was at Wachovia and had deposited 3k in halves a few days prior at a different branch. Go to withdraw 4100.00 to run to another bank, and the teller gives me a strange look. Starts asking if I was in another branch that day, I said "No" and she proceeds to have to go through an authorization process to "Unlock" my account. It took about 30 minutes of her having to call their corp. office and me having to give my Social Security ID, DL and proceed through questions as to wear I lived, how long I lived there, what my previous 3 addresses were, where my SS card was issued, where I was born. No joke. It was actually pretty embarrassing to stand in the lobby and answer all these inane questions. Now, on a side note when I did deposit at the other Wachovia, the manager there stated he was going to start charging me to dump there as the have to 'pass down the cost' to me as it costs them to ship out the coins, we eventually agreed for my next dump to be done in three 1k bags that he provided me saying they have to unroll all my wrapped coin and place them in bags. However he was doing a lot of typing on his computer all the while... Probably updating my account and placing a freeze on it. Little bastard! I can't wait to go back in there monday with another 3k drop. Just to clarify, it does NOT cost them anything to send coins out from their branches, he's just being a lazy chump correct?

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009

The goverment spends millions of your tax dollars to go after coin collectors. Time to join the tea party.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Syrys said:
Sounds like they suspect you of money laundering or some other illegal activity. I would be there first thing monday morning and have a serious talk with the manager. You might also need to call someone higher up about what's going on. Good luck

Thats BS!!...They dont have the right to "Suspect" you..if they felt this way, then the Authorites would have been called..Sorry to hear about that..I would Totally complain until something gets done...Wow...Sounds like some crap Paypal tried pulling on me once

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Good Luck!

Bob

OP
OP
usatc

usatc

Nov 28, 2008
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: UPDATE: Suntrust Froze My Accounts!

:help:

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That really sucks!!! Have you been depositing $6,000 a week in rolled halves on this bank? If not, what amounts did you deposit at how many branches of this bank each week? It is easy for them to 'take you out' if you do not have a premier relationship with the bank (i.e. - mortgages, loans, substantial savings, etc.). More information needed!!!

HH,

OP
OP
usatc

usatc

Nov 28, 2008
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In the last 60 days I have deposited 6 times, with 2 of those being cash and the rest coins (never more than $1,500 in halves at once). I have had an account with them for two years and used it as an account to hold proceeds from a rental I manage for my parents. I also deposit between 3 different Suntrust branches.

My wife has used them as her primary bank for the last 4 years and had all her paychecks go there and used the account to pay all her bills (but I never deposited to her account). We have a mortgage with my military bank and we don't have any savings as all our money for the last 3 years has been going to pay off student loans (I literally paid off the final portion of the $45,000) last week). In addition, my wife got a new job that more than doubled her previous pay (but she canceled the direct deposit to Suntrust when all this began so she could actually access her money).

I guess I'm currently an expendable member but we are both in our 20's and have full time, well-paying jobs (we are looking at purchasing a second home to rent later this year). In addition, the fact that they completely didn't tell us what was going on, locked our accounts, and now are throwing us out with absolutely no warning (I would have limited my deposits if they ever said it was a problem). My wife talked to her parents and her mom (who is old fashioned) is very unhappy and is talking to her dad about canceling their savings accounts (they have multiple properties with Suntrust) and a business account and moving them to another bank they do business with because of this.

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
usatc said:
In the last 60 days I have deposited 6 times, with 2 of those being cash and the rest coins (never more than $1,500 in halves at once). I have had an account with them for two years and used it as an account to hold proceeds from a rental I manage for my parents. I also deposit between 3 different Suntrust branches.

My wife has used them as her primary bank for the last 4 years and had all her paychecks go there and used the account to pay all her bills (but I never deposited to her account). We have a mortgage with my military bank and we don't have any savings as all our money for the last 3 years has been going to pay off student loans (I literally paid off the final portion of the $45,000) last week). In addition, my wife got a new job that more than doubled her previous pay (but she canceled the direct deposit to Suntrust when all this began so she could actually access her money).

I guess I'm currently an expendable member but we are both in our 20's and have full time, well-paying jobs (we are looking at purchasing a second home to rent later this year). In addition, the fact that they completely didn't tell us what was going on, locked our accounts, and now are throwing us out with absolutely no warning (I would have limited my deposits if they ever said it was a problem). My wife talked to her parents and her mom (who is old fashioned) is very unhappy and is talking to her dad about canceling their savings accounts (they have multiple properties with Suntrust) and a business account and moving them to another bank they do business with because of this.

OMG, well after hearing that information I think they screwed you over big time!!! They could have warned you but maybe the manager telling you to bag them up and pay 3% was their way of warning you??? Total hose-job any way you look at it! At any rate, there are plenty of other banks out there that are happy to assist you, some even with coin counting machines! I would recommend a credit union, they are non-profit banks and look to assist and please the customer as their #1 priority. Good luck man, sorry again to hear about all of your troubles!

HH,

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
DFX, AT Pro, Vaquero, Cortes
Best thing to do is all of you move your accounts to credit unions or other banks and let Sentrust know in detail why. Bet that manager is unemployed soon enough. You simply don't need their crap.

Moneypenny

Dec 30, 2010
Florida
Bubba707 said:
Best thing to do is all of you move your accounts to credit unions or other banks and let Sentrust know in detail why. Bet that manager is unemployed soon enough. You simply don't need their crap.

I agree about the manager, but I'd definitely help the process along by writing letters and making calls. I do think it's within a bank's rights to tell you you can't deposit more than x amount of coin per month, but the way the manager chose to go about it instead is unbelievable. Rude, embarrassing, inconveniencing, unprofessional, and generally immature.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This manager should be fired for closing your wife's account, not for closing your account.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I can think of is CONTACT THE NEWS!

A bank closes your account and your wife's account for depositing money?!?!?!

That's just sad.

AgentX

Dec 21, 2010
I work for a bank that will remain nameless specializing in cyber security, fraud, and espionage.

What probably happened is someone in the branch submitted a SIR (Suspicious Incident Report) suspecting you of money laundering or some sort of fraudulent transactions. Depending on the outcome of the investigation it could even go to the secret service. It is in the contract that you sign with the bank that they can terminate your account at any time however, there should have been notification of the freeze on your account. The branch manager was completely in the wrong for freezing your account and not notifying you.

To me it sounds like this particular branch didn't want to be "inconvenienced" handling the halves and came up with a reason to give you the boot. If you went to the regional branch manager you could probably make life uncomfortable this manager. After all, they lost business by their actions with the direct deposit coming in and the potential mortgage loss not to mention family members shutting off accounts.

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
they can close your accounts for any or no reason... had it happen only once.... but most banks only keep your info for a yr or 2.. then i would go back to another suntrust branch and open a min act and hammer em till they cancel u again LOL I would make sure they didnt file a report with the company that banks check when u open accounts.. I cant reember the name.. someone here will def know

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread