40% Halves Price Compared To 90% Halves Price

Syrys

Oct 2, 2010
A 90% half is worth about $10.54 at the current price of silver, so expect slightly less from a dealer since they have to make a profit.

Here is a great website for finding out the current silver value of coins: http://www.coinflation.com/

HH!

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin dealers in general would pay about $17 on the dollar in my area (some will only pay 16) so thats 8.50 per 90% half
on CL and if u sell to collectors or hoarders you might get closer to the melt value which is about 21x or 10.50 per.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Bugsterx2 said:
Some of you have said that 40% halves have been going for $3.70-4.00 per coin. What price per coin could one expect for a 90% half? I don't remember seeing a figure anywhere lately. Thanks!

Quoted prices from some of the buying sites is about 19.5X face valoue right now for 90%. So $19.50 per dollar, or $9.75 per half. If you want to sell locally, at coin shops or pawn dealers, I'd look for 17X face minimum. On Craig's LIst, try 19X face and you will probably get it.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a guy that buys my coins. Last week's prices for 40s was $4.11 and 90s were $10.50.

Call some coin shops around and ask what they pay. That's what I did and I this guy pays the most around this area. Everyone else was $3.75 for 40s and $8-$9 for 90s

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My dealer is paying $1.50 for 40's, and $6.50 for 90's LOL! He gets a lot of business.
He sells for 21.5 x face, and the silver never gathers dust.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
fistfulladirt said:
My dealer is paying $1.50 for 40's, and $6.50 for 90's LOL! He gets a lot of business.

You should start placing ads or open a coin store if that is the only competition. You could offer more than what he pays by a few cents and really clean up.

Jim

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
jim4silver said:
fistfulladirt said:

You should start placing ads or open a coin store if that is the only competition. You could offer more than what he pays by a few cents and really clean up.

Jim
I have considered it Jim, but I'd have to quit my day job.
A buddy of mine rented a small suite in a strip mall, and for 2 years bought gold. He paid better than all the competition it the area and still made good profit with so little overhead. Unfortunately, business eventually trickled off and he closed shop.

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
jim4silver said:
fistfulladirt said:

Jim

Jim, I did just that and trust me it isnt as easy as just advertising better prices and making a killing. Because there is nothing left to make a killing left when you pay those close to melt prices. You have to buy $1000s of worth just to make a few bucks and there isnt that much quantity in circulation.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
JD-GA said:
jim4silver said:
fistfulladirt said:

Jim

Jim, I did just that and trust me it isnt as easy as just advertising better prices and making a killing. Because there is nothing left to make a killing left when you pay those close to melt prices. You have to buy $1000s of worth just to make a few bucks and there isnt that much quantity in circulation.

JD,

You are right if you are referring to opening an actual "brick and mortar" coin store in a costly strip mall, etc. I meant more like Craigslist ads, perhaps local radio spots on am news stations (the kind old people listen to, etc,) and running it as a part time sort of job or hobby--perhaps if you had the time open in a lower rent place if you could get enough traffic. If I lived in a town with only one or two stores that were paying 1.50 for 40s and 6.50 for 90 halves, I would try something. Maybe offer 1.75-2 bucks for 40s and 7-7.5 for 90 halves, based on the figures FFD posted.

I understand if someone has a regular full time job that it might be hard to do this in an actual store, but with all the hours many here spend CRHing and getting a few keepers here and there, a person in FFD's town could make a nice profit buying up stuff and shipping it to a place like Tulving or Apmex once they got a full junk bag. A person could set up meetings in the evening and on weekends. You basically make 100% gross profit on the 40s and 35-40% or so on the 90s you buy.

The coin dealers were I live are generally pretty competitive and fair (some are better than others of course), but it would not make financial sense to try what I outlined above because now for instance they pay you 20X face on 90s and over 4 bucks per 40% coin with silver over 30 bucks.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread