Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Step 1. Walk into bank, wait in line till teller is free, approach teller.
Step 2. Smile at teller, make some nice small talk about the weather, check out her rack (coin rack that is - for AG).
Step 3. Pull out the check you wrote yourself a few minutes earlier and ask to deposit it into your other account.
Step 4. Wait for her to do the transaction and wait till the "Is there anything else I can do for you today" line.
Step 5. Bust the line out, "Do you order coins for your best customers?"
Step 6. Wait for answer, if she says yes, ask her if she can order you $1k in half dollars.
Step 7. Wait for her to ask you what a half dollar is. Pull one out of your pocket that you just picked up at a bank down the road.
Step 8. If she bites, give her your number and wait for the call....

Its as easy as that.

OP
OP
H

hennypenny

Feb 10, 2011
Reading about how some folks are hasseled by their bank here has kind of worried me. I don't want to do anything to tick off my C.U. , Plus I walked into the local "Real Bank" here in town and was treated like a criminal when I asked if they had rolls of 1/2 dollars. The guy gave me a dirty look and asked if I was going to be returning them after I was done with them, and what my intentions were. Kinda freaked me out.

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
If you go about it with no confidence you may get shot down. Go in very "matter of factly" and simply ask the question. You need no explanation unless they request one and if they do tell the truth. Promise them you will never bring the coins back to them also.

Ive always opened a new account with the big giant banks with the manager of the branch knowing they are only getting my business because im a coin searcher. If they agree and you were 100% upfront with why you are even opening the account it will not be your fault when they end the relationship. Rinse and repeat.

JT10

Oct 29, 2010
The Mitten State
hennypenny said:
How do you approach your bank requesting a box? Are you just upfront and tell them you are looking to collect some rare coins and ask if it will be a problem for them? I belong to a super great credit union and don't want to piss them off. I would like to use them for aqiring AND dumping. Has anyone else or does anyone else do this?

You really do not want to use the same bank for aquiring and dumping. Most tellers do not appreciate it, and someone else doing that is probably the reason the "real bank" teller seemed hostile to you. The other reason you do not want to do this is because then you will probably be getting the same coins over and over again.

You order 2 boxes. Sort through them, bring them back. The bank sends the coins back to the coin service, and then the coin service re rolls them and sends them back to you the next time you order. It may be ok for a dozen boxes or so, but after that you will be just cycling the same coins.

Your best bet is to pick up from one bank, and then dump at a different bank, preferably one which uses a different coin service.

OP
OP
H

hennypenny

Feb 10, 2011
Can I just walk into any bank for a dump? Will they be pissed? Will they tell me I need an account?

JT10

Oct 29, 2010
The Mitten State
hennypenny said:
Can I just walk into any bank for a dump? Will they be pissed? Will they tell me I need an account?

That really depends on the bank, but I would assume that most would require you to have an account.
I think most people here dump by depositing the coin in their account. Banks are hard pressed to turn down deposit money. Then you go to a different branch and withdrawl the cash. I started doing that, but then as the bank got used to me being there I just exchange the coins for cash. So far, I have only dumped at different branches of the same bank, and that bank has been my main bank for several years. They have my primary checking account and my mortgage, and also do business with my church. In short, they put up with my coins because I am a good customer.

I then set up accounts with two other banks for the sole purpose of ordering boxes.

My advise for dumping is to start small, and work your way up to higher amounts.

OP
OP
H

hennypenny

Feb 10, 2011
Would it be a good idea to use a Credit Union "Service Center" for dumping? We have service centers up here that service hundreds of credit unions for deposits and withdrawels.

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't dump where u eat!

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
LOL you dont need a reason to order a box. If they ask just tell them you collect coins. Of course it would help if for about a month or so you came in looking for pennies nickels dimes and quarters. I find this method doesnt raise as many flags. Realize that the more you clue in tellers and others about this hobby the less silver you are going to find.The best part of this theory is that even those who dont like some of us keeping it low profile cant argue that it works.

As for dumping and ordering at the same bank there is a reason the veterans say dont do it. Funny tho how many peeps think that their situation is different.

I learned the hard way tho, just like dumping dimes in a machine or rim searchin halves, i thought i was different , it wouldnt happen to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread