Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Aug 2009
    4 times

melting a silver coin at home

Has anybody here ever tried processing a silver coin to separate to copper and silver? How did you do it? I just came across a Kennedy and the face of the coin is completely destroyed. I doubt that I could weight it because of all the damage. So that leaves only one option if i want to find out if it was a 64 or a 40%. I want to weigh the silver and copper separately. Plus I think it could be kind of an interesting experiment.

us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT
    5 times

Re: melting a silver coin at home

I personally wouldn't do it. I would leave it to the pros. Metals have different melting points.. so copper and silver will have different melting points and so they would start to separate from eachother at those points. The temperatures are very high so that you can't do it on your stove top. You'd have to have specialized equipment. It's not worth the trouble.

us
    Dec 2010
    bounty hunter 1100
    3 times

Not to mention what the wife is going to say when you destroy her cooking pot

us
    Feb 2011
    Minnesota
    Garrett GTI 1500, Garrett AT Pro

The major problem I see with this idea is that it will cost you more to melt it then what it is worth. I think you would be better off just selling it as a 40%er if you cant make out a date or unsure if it's a 90% or 40%. Good Luck And Happy Hunting!!!

us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT
    5 times

Quote Originally Posted by Demon_Wolf
    The major problem I see with this idea is that it will cost you more to melt it then what it is worth. I think you would be better off just selling it as a 40%er if you cant make out a date or unsure if it's a 90% or 40%. Good Luck And Happy Hunting!!!
    How can you be unsure of whether it's 90% or 40%er? It's very obvious. Plus you can weigh to be sure.

us
    Aug 2010
    Maryland
    Fisher CZ70
    1 times

If weighing isn't an option because too much material is gone, then find someone with access to a chemical or materials laboratory and have him measure the density. The density for a 90% silver coin is a constant because it is an alloy. The density for a 40% silver coin with surface damage will vary because it is clad, but the loss of the purer 80% silver outer surfaces will make its density decrease from an undamaged 40% silver coin. And an undamaged 40% silver coin is less dense than a 90% silver coin, so the damage will make it even easier to measure a difference in density.

us
    Dec 2010
    2 times

there are several way to do this chemically,like out prospecting. They all involve some nasty chemicals tho. The big issue is,how do you,or a buyer,know the purity? If you follow the directions,you should have .999 pure silver,but how would you prove it to sell it? Imagine you found a 1 oz gold nugget.Its not pure gold! Most gold in nature is 14-18k,so worth less as gold,but more as a novelty due to the size and rarity.

us
    Aug 2009
    4 times

I don't really intend to sell the metals i extract from the coin. this is an idea that is more for the experience and fun then profit.

I read on line that I can use nitric acid has anybody tried that before?

us
    Dec 2010
    2 times

I've seen the nitric acid,but never tried it. I imagine if you were making jewelery or such,it might be fun to try.

us
    Oct 2010

Hello. I am an analytical chemist. An easy, non-destructive way to determine alloy is to find somebody ( or a lab) that has an XRF unit. In about 3 minutes, they can determine the alloy content of the coin.

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    765 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

a 40 will have the copper core "brown streak" --a 90 will not --date 64 is 90 - 65 to 70 -40

us
    Jan 2010
    9 times

Just do the sound test. Take a stack of 40%'ers and a stack of 90%'ers. Put your unidentified coin in the middle of each stack, shuffle them in your hands and listen. 40% and 90% do sound slightly different, so this should identify it.

us
    Jan 2010
    44 times

Don't burn your house down trying.
    rileyboy

us
    May 2011
    18 times

Concerning the Nitric Acid, I remember some prominent person said something about "not inhaling".

Good advice if you ask me.

Keep on Rollin' !

us
    Apr 2011
    Northeast
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Off the topic.. I thought about trying to make a ring out of a Walker.. I saw some videos online and they came out really nice. I am sure I would totally screw it up though.
    "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail."

March '12 Finds: 186 40%, 24 90% (36.19 troy oz)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors