melting a silver coin at home

thing

Aug 8, 2009
Has anybody here ever tried processing a silver coin to separate to copper and silver? How did you do it? I just came across a Kennedy and the face of the coin is completely destroyed. I doubt that I could weight it because of all the damage. So that leaves only one option if i want to find out if it was a 64 or a 40%. I want to weigh the silver and copper separately. Plus I think it could be kind of an interesting experiment.

Upvote 0

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I personally wouldn't do it. I would leave it to the pros. Metals have different melting points.. so copper and silver will have different melting points and so they would start to separate from eachother at those points. The temperatures are very high so that you can't do it on your stove top. You'd have to have specialized equipment. It's not worth the trouble.

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
Not to mention what the wife is going to say when you destroy her cooking pot :laughing9:

Demon_Wolf

Feb 15, 2011
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Garrett AT Pro
The major problem I see with this idea is that it will cost you more to melt it then what it is worth. I think you would be better off just selling it as a 40%er if you cant make out a date or unsure if it's a 90% or 40%. Good Luck And Happy Hunting!!!

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Demon_Wolf said:
The major problem I see with this idea is that it will cost you more to melt it then what it is worth. I think you would be better off just selling it as a 40%er if you cant make out a date or unsure if it's a 90% or 40%. Good Luck And Happy Hunting!!!

How can you be unsure of whether it's 90% or 40%er? It's very obvious. Plus you can weigh to be sure.

sitman

Aug 2, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70
If weighing isn't an option because too much material is gone, then find someone with access to a chemical or materials laboratory and have him measure the density. The density for a 90% silver coin is a constant because it is an alloy. The density for a 40% silver coin with surface damage will vary because it is clad, but the loss of the purer 80% silver outer surfaces will make its density decrease from an undamaged 40% silver coin. And an undamaged 40% silver coin is less dense than a 90% silver coin, so the damage will make it even easier to measure a difference in density.

blkcwbyhat

Dec 3, 2010
there are several way to do this chemically,like out prospecting. They all involve some nasty chemicals tho. The big issue is,how do you,or a buyer,know the purity? If you follow the directions,you should have .999 pure silver,but how would you prove it to sell it? Imagine you found a 1 oz gold nugget.Its not pure gold! Most gold in nature is 14-18k,so worth less as gold,but more as a novelty due to the size and rarity.

OP
OP
T

thing

Aug 8, 2009
I don't really intend to sell the metals i extract from the coin. this is an idea that is more for the experience and fun then profit.

I read on line that I can use nitric acid has anybody tried that before?

blkcwbyhat

Dec 3, 2010
I've seen the nitric acid,but never tried it. I imagine if you were making jewelery or such,it might be fun to try.

AgandAu

Oct 18, 2010
Hello. I am an analytical chemist. An easy, non-destructive way to determine alloy is to find somebody ( or a lab) that has an XRF unit. In about 3 minutes, they can determine the alloy content of the coin.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a 40 will have the copper core "brown streak" --a 90 will not --date 64 is 90 - 65 to 70 -40

skelly9131

Jan 12, 2010
Just do the sound test. Take a stack of 40%'ers and a stack of 90%'ers. Put your unidentified coin in the middle of each stack, shuffle them in your hands and listen. 40% and 90% do sound slightly different, so this should identify it.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Concerning the Nitric Acid, I remember some prominent person said something about "not inhaling".

Good advice if you ask me.

Keep on Rollin' !

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off the topic.. I thought about trying to make a ring out of a Walker.. I saw some videos online and they came out really nice. I am sure I would totally screw it up though.

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Going through all that for an extra $8.50? I guess if the thrill of possibly burning down your house is worth the $8.50, go get the blow torch and hazardous chemicals. Please be sure to scan and post the article of the house fire that will most likely blanket your local papers. I can not wait to see the Fire Marshall's quote as to the "possible cause" of how the fire started.

MU

John-117

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2007
Why are you guys so against an adult using fire and chemicals? I know of someone who has refined metals at home, however the toxic chemicals are what likely led to his cats dyeing.

Be sure to do this in a well ventilated room.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
skelly9131 said:
Just do the sound test. Take a stack of 40%'ers and a stack of 90%'ers. Put your unidentified coin in the middle of each stack, shuffle them in your hands and listen. 40% and 90% do sound slightly different, so this should identify it.

Agreed. If you drop one coin at a time in a stack of 90 and then 40 and have this coin in each stack, you will hear it sound "odd" compared to the others in one stack, and not the other. It will give you the answer.

Also, someone else stated if you look at the side of the ocin, somewhere on the side there WILL BE a brown streak if it is 40%. It might be big or maybe small, but somewhere there should be one. This test is not as reliable, as some 40%ers have a streak that is close to impossible to see. But if you see it, then it can not be a 90%, and that is conclusive.

Use both tests. You'll have an answer, and not destroy the coin (More than it already is). :-)

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Did you know that if you throw a steak into a blaze of pure liquid Oxygen that the ?-thousand degree temp sears the steak to perfection?

Just sayin.

Dealing with business loonies is wild enough for me.

Have Fun !

Keep on Rollin'

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread