Can we buy coins from coinstar?

EpicDeuce

Dec 2, 2010
Why would you want to? Aside from cents? CoinStar spits out silver if I'm not mistaken... That's like going grocery shopping at the dumpster...

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I saw a program on discovery or one of those types of channels a couple years ago about vending machines, that showed a Brinks truck coming to pick up the "vault" in the base of a Coinstar machine. The full "vault" was replaced with an empty one, and the full one was taken to the Brinks facility to be emptied and run with their other coins. The room they showed had several full "vaults" waiting to be emptied.

They said the Coinstar machine automatically "calls" the service center when it needed to be emptied and that the "vault" in it holds up to 500 lbs of coins.

So, no, you cannot buy the coins from a Coinstar machine that I am aware of.

Jim

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinstar rejects silver. I know this because I tested it one time on accident. You dont want to buy coinstars coins unless you are looking for clad.

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
I agree in that Coinstar machines do, indeed, reject silver. If you are fortunate enough to be able to use a Coinstar machine without use charges, you can feel confident that the machine will kick out any silver coin that you may somehow have missed.

Typically, a Coinstar machine will have two, separate "vaults" in its bowels. If you happen to be dumping when one vault fills up and it switches to the second vault, there is a drastic difference in the noise of the coins dropping.....particularly in the case of half dollars. It's loud enough to make bank patrons turn around and look. The machines do not sort denominations in any way, they are all just dumped into the hoppers en masse, with the actual sorting being done back at the Coinstar facility.

- Grizz

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How depressing...a machine that rejects silver.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EpicDeuce said:
CoinStar spits out silver if I'm not mistaken... That's like going grocery shopping at the dumpster...
Actually I am reading a book right now called "The art and science of dumpster diving" Not even one fifth through with it and that is what he talks about the most. Hopefully he will get down to the nuts and bolts pretty soon.

Pudsbrat

Aug 21, 2004
Mena Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Garrett ProPointer....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know they reject silver...one night I happened to walk by one and saw a large coin in the reject tray.....reached in and pulled out a 1968 Kennedy half......couldnt believe it.....never find anything that goood....somebody must have dumped and run....without checking their rejects.....good for me, bad for them.... :icon_thumright:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
cyberdan said:
EpicDeuce said:
CoinStar spits out silver if I'm not mistaken... That's like going grocery shopping at the dumpster...
Actually I am reading a book right now called "The art and science of dumpster diving" Not even one fifth through with it and that is what he talks about the most. Hopefully he will get down to the nuts and bolts pretty soon.

Do you have a link to the book? I know someone who's interested in dumpster diving for food. She obviously is living within her means and would like disguarded food that store throw away. What does Coinstar have to do with dumpster diving?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread