Nebraska Panhandle
Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really odd that they would say you need to pay $10 to get them in. Just go to another bank and ask them if they can order you halves. If they can, get an account there.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I ordered a box today. They said they will order it Monday, have it in by Wednesday. No cost.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
One of the banks that I visit when making my rounds orders boxes for one of their business customers. The teller told me that they charge him extra for the service. Don't know how much. Said they could do the same for me. I told her other banks were doing it for free so no way. She seemed amazed that they would do that. That bank also dosen't offer free checking.

AFModell

Feb 27, 2006
DE
No free checking? I thought that was a given nowadays. I did have a bank refuse to sell me what was in the coin machine cause I wasnt a member, but they had no problems selling me loose halves lying around. Ill try again with a different employee. Its interesting though, that while that branch wont sell me the coins in their coin machine, their branch down the road will order me boxes of halves with no problem. I am not a member.

So far of all the tens of banks Ive been to, only 2 have refused to sell me halves.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I have a box waiting to pick up from the credit union I belong to, no charge. I have had others refuse to even sell me 20 bucks worth as I was not a member! Gee thanks SELCO, I see you're so selective that you won't be getting any business from me in other matters. :D

I have bought boxes from banks I was not a member at, but they didn't order them in special for me, either.

So I guess its just where you're at and who you're dealing with and how good a day they're having! ;)

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I have only had 2 banks refuse to sell me halves. Both were small branchs of small banks. I was just starting then so I didn't argue but all other banks thanked me for taking them off their hands. None of the banks out here have coin counters as far as I've seen. Some banks send there halves back to the deposatory and the rest hold them until they get a large amount before sending them out. These are the banks that are worth hitting month after month.

I have been trying to figure out which neighborhoods are best for picking up loose halves from the tellers. Commercial accounts ie gas stations, food marts, other places where someone might cash in their piggy banks while waiting for payday. School cafeterias, play ground snack bars, etc.\

Again, unless the bank you go to holds on their coins you will only be able to pick up those 3 or 4 that the tellers haven't turned in to be sent back to the depository. I have been keeping track of which banks don't keep their coins and not hitting them as often or never as the ones that I know that will be vaulting the coins.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only been trying one branch of my local Wells Fargo. They've always ordered boxes no charge. I tried the branch inside a supermarket near me but they said their vault is too small to hold half boxes.

I also go to a Bank of America every Saturday for my job but some guy comes in each Friday and buys all the halves they have.

BTW, I just saw an TV ad for a local chain, Nevada State Bank, saying they've installed coin counting machines in all their branches. Free for anyone to use, member or not, and they don't charge any fees. I may ask a manager or two if they want to unload all their rejected coins from these machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread