At what spot price of silver are you planning on selling your 40%ers???

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Fellow CRHers,

I was just wondering at what spot price of silver are you planning on selling your 40%ers??? Right now they are a little over $5 each at about $34 an ounce. I am thinking I may unload some 40%ers when silver reaches $40 an ounce. I plan on keeping all of my 90%ers for a while. I don't really need the money per se but I would love to refinish my basement and do some serious landscaping this summer and the silver profits could make those very easy (and cheap) upgrades! Thoughts from the community are appreciated - when are you planning on selling your 40%ers???

Thanks for your insights!

$ilver$urfer :hello:

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Since all my finds go to the safe-deposit box, any 40% I accumulate gets sold regardless of current melt price. I won't keep any PM's at home, and the 40's take up too much box space.

Demon_Wolf

Feb 15, 2011
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Garrett AT Pro
I personally won't sell any of the 90%ers until silver hits $50 An ounce, but I will sell my 40%ers when silvers hits $35 an ounce. The 90%ers at $50 would be worth $18.08 each and the 40%ers at $35 would be $5.18 each. That's what my plans are anyways, some people might tell you other things but it is up to you when you want to sell them not every one else so just sell them when you feel comfortable about selling them. Good Luck And Happy Hunting!!!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said all along that I would hold out for $50/oz. But, knowing myself as well as I do, at $50 I'll decide to wait for $60. At $60, I'll wait for $70. I'll still be waiting if/when silver drops below $10 again. ;D

But, I don't have much of a stash. If I had thousands of 40%ers, I'd probably sell a portion of them now.

steeda

Mar 16, 2010
This is a really good topic. For a while now I have been thinking of unloading my 40%ers. The problem I have always run into is that I want to use the money I make from the 40%ers to make even more money. After a lot of thought, I decided that if I can get at least $500 for my 40%ers, I'll use it to get another box each time I visit the bank.

In any event, there's a coin show this weekend near my house and I'm gonna head down there and see what they'll purchase the 40%ers for, regardless of what silver is going for. If I can get a better price over the internet or ebay, I'll sell them there.

At least this way, I hedge myself in both directions. I'll still make money off the 40%ers, and keep the 90%ers if silver keeps going up, plus now I can get 2 boxes at the bank instead of 1 each time I go.

I am going to keep the 90%ers for the long run so it doesnt matter to me.

Either way, its profit. I guess the question is - how much profit? Someone once told me that pigs get fed and hogs get slaughtered.

Just my 1/25th of a half. ;D

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been thinking I would sell my 40%'s the 3rd week of March. I am going on vacation at ther end of March so I will sell my 40% and buy what I can in halfs again and I can search while I am on vacation and I can paid in halfs while I am on vacation. Hope this will be a vacation that I can call a freebie. Then take another one in July or Aug.....Matt

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ive got a little over $1000 face in 40%s and they arent going anywhere until the market tops out. Why anyone would sell before then I do not know. So you ask how do you know when silver will top out? When I start feeling like the world isnt going to heck in a hand bag is about when precious metals will start correcting is my guess. That is usually when everyone else will feel the same way. Right now there is NOTHING to make people feel all giddy about the world and the economy and where is gold, silver, and oil going?

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, it's when, not where silver is at. I am 46, so i am accumulating my silver as part of my retirement plan in 2029. So far, i only have about 60 oz. of silver, and about 100 lbs of copper pennies......a mere $2,500....but it's a good start.

csa28

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2006
Where do u see silver at in 20 years? i have slowly been buying silver all along an have no plans of selling it any time soon. i read everything on the internet an it seems like its either gonna be worthless or 100 a ounce lol

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I sell 40% and 90% kennedys and buy gold or silver eagles. I keep all WL, Franklins and Barbers. Works for me

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
As far as selling and buying your PMs, there are some who profit by selling and buying and not just holding until infinity. Here is a good read from a very knowledgeable newsletter writer. I don't receive his paid newsletter, but he posts free articles about once per week on various gold/silver websites. His trading strategies seem too sophisticated for me to utilize, but his overall views and prognostications of the silver/gold markets have been "spot" on (sorry for the pun) ever since I have been reading his stuff. My take from reading his articles is he likes to go long and short various markets and put his profits into physical gold among other things. In my opinion his articles are worth following if you like to read about this kind of stuff.

http://news.silverseek.com/SilverSeek/1298393515.php

Jim

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim
Interesting read! I am hanging onto most of my 90% stuff, havent really counted it all 40s included.( maybe a few grand tops?) NOW thats not counting my GOLD or my coin collection!! But when I do unload some in the near future. I am going to buy some gold or bullions.( ps the bullion value will drop if the market tanks). Thats why I prefer Gold. IT would be interesting to hear what some folks consider alot?
PS I have been saving my pre 82 copper pennies but I dont quite understand it? Are we going to be able to trade in copper for its melt value in the future? Isnt that illegal? Please enlighten me.
cheers all

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008
for me the current spot price is less relevant than the ratio between gold and silver. Once in a blue moon silver is up and gold down. Thats when I sell my 40's and buy fractional gold. I have sold at 4 different points since 2008 so its not a common occurrence, usually the two move in tandem. But when it does happen, I upgrade.

Plus to someone else's point - when I upgrade to gold its a heck of a lot easier to fit in the safe deposit box!!! I've already had to upgrade the box size once and its getting close to decision time, do I take some 40%s out of the box or go up to the next size again...these are good problems to have :)

fiddycent

Oct 23, 2008
Interesting question. I sold a thousand face last year and didn't do anything with the money. The cash is still just sitting there. After selling I felt bad about it so...probably won't ever do that again! Probably end up being one of those dead guys with a real nice hoard. My son will have to liquidate my stash one day. I'm gonna have to ask him what his target price is. LOL.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
I trade in 40%ers according to when the next coin show is as long as i have enuff, price is not a concern.

OP
OP
$ilver$urfer

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bringing this topic back up to the top -- at what spot price are you all thinking of selling your 40%ers? $40 an ounce seems like a nice spot price to sell some 40%ers but maybe we should wait till $50 or $75? Or should you just hold onto them forever if you don't need the money? I am not planning on selling my 90%ers at all unless of course the price is too good to pass up or I desperately need the money.

Thanks and HH! :icon_thumright:

$ilver$urfer :hello:

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to make the assumption that most of the people reading this question have found their 40%ers for 50 cents each instead of having bought them. That said, I do not want to convert mine into paper that does not go up in value. Silver on my shelf increases in value much better than paper in a bank. Your mileage may vary.

Obviously if your cash on hand position is low, then you do what you have to do.

HH

Nick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread