First Halves Box

Argblat

Greenie
Nov 18, 2008
Saw in the FAQ that posting about your first box of halves is a requirement (yes, newbies do read the FAQ) so here goes:

Called to place an order for a box of halves a few weeks ago and was told that they only did orders in $1000. I said that that was fine and figured that I had a bag coming my way. The next week I went to the bank to pick it up and it turned out to be 2 boxes with the teller explaining to me that they have to order 2 at a time to get them delivered. I tried to take one and save the other for later but she said that if her manager saw a box of halves laying around she would have to send them back so I just grabbed them both to save her the trouble.

When the tellers found out that "the guy who ordered a box of halves" had arrived they politely inquired why someone would do such a thing and I read them the company line about collecting, filling up books, etc. They were extremely nice and inquisitive about it and I noticed they had some loose halves in their tray so I asked if I could look at them and pulled out a 1959 Ben and a 1964. Call it beginner's luck. The teller's also nervously asked me what I was going to do with the ones that I didn't keep but I assured them that they would go back to a different bank altogether. Relieved they said that I could order halves any time I wanted, so the CRH-Teller relationship seems to have formed positively and I have a bank I can rely on for the time being.

No fairy tale ending as I took the boxes home and found a 40% in one of the first few rolls but that was it (2nd box was a skunk). Not too shabby for my first try but I will be working on the assumption that there is 2x more silver coins in the tellers tray than in the boxes... at least until next time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Argblat

Greenie
Nov 18, 2008
Almost forgot... found a magic coin as well. Fun to see the stuff being mentioned on the boards show up in a hunt.

Attachments

• Magic-Coin.jpg
    Magic-Coin.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 195

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Argblat said:
Called to place an order for a box of halves a few weeks ago and was told that they only did orders in $1000.

oh wow..

my bank gives me hell till they order a box or two for me.. it's getting really hard to get them! and your bank says: we have to order two or more!!? lucky you!!

but great post :icon_thumleft: and beautiful teller tray's finds! thats the way to go!!

OP
OP
A

Argblat

Greenie
Nov 18, 2008
yonico said:
Argblat said:
Called to place an order for a box of halves a few weeks ago and was told that they only did orders in $1000.

oh wow..

my bank gives me hell till they order a box or two for me.. it's getting really hard to get them! and your bank says: we have to order two or more!!? lucky you!!

but great post :icon_thumleft: and beautiful teller tray's finds! thats the way to go!!

I'm sure they'll get sick of me eventually...

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Nice score on your silver...I hope you took all the loose halves she had, and didn't just cherry pick the silver from the tray.

When they'll sell you all of them, take them. It will help your relationship at the bank. You'll be the guy that they are talking about when they say "we save all the halves for a guy that comes in every week."

OP
OP
A

Argblat

Greenie
Nov 18, 2008
clovis97 said:
Nice score on your silver...I hope you took all the loose halves she had, and didn't just cherry pick the silver from the tray.

When they'll sell you all of them, take them. It will help your relationship at the bank. You'll be the guy that they are talking about when they say "we save all the halves for a guy that comes in every week."

I didn't, but your advise is well taken and I will from now on.

Thanks.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Remember this answer... "All you have. You won't have to count them any more".

The question will be... "How many do you want".

Every time I ask for halves the first thing they ask is how many I want. I always tell them I'll take them all and their eyes light up. They don't like having them around. They have to include them in the count every day and they are happy to get rid of them.

If you can only afford to take some of them then they understand, but if you can afford to take them all I suggest you do so. I usually take what is in their trays before I take the rolls just to make them happy.

I also seem to have decent luck from their trays. Once they had 8 halves. 6 were silver. That was a nice score.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
It takes a lot to build the right rapport with a place.. every teller would get tired of ordering for you eventually (especially if you do large quantities) unless you give something to them too (ie - give occasional box of donuts, cookies, or bottle of wine). I told them I only do it if I get good boxes. They're cool with it now.

Although my main dump bank has been very cool with me dumping. It's just as hard to find a good dump bank too. I gave one teller there a bottle of wine last Christmas. At some point, they deserve more. I try to do all the work for them. I put dump rolls in their Coin-Loc bags and put my info on the bag (making things easier).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread