Whats more important in the CRH process? Order bank or dump bank?

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
What's more important in the CRH process? Order bank or dump bank?

Just for discussion and kicks. What's more important to you? Order bank or dump bank? Both are important to the process but I find the order bank the most important. If I get no boxes to search, then there's nothing to dump. Plus dumping could be done slowly if some bank won't accept a large quantity all at once. I know some think dumping is the thoughest but I see the order bank as the most important. I've spent more of my personal money to keep tellers of my order bank happy than my dump bank (ie cookies, muffins, wine, etc). Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: What's more important in the CRH process? Order bank or dump bank?

SFBayArea said:
Just for discussion and kicks. What's more important to you? Order bank or dump bank? Both are important to the process but I find the order bank the most important. If I get no boxes to search, then there's nothing to dump. Plus dumping could be done slowly if some bank won't accept a large quantity all at once. I know some think dumping is the thoughest but I see the order bank as the most important. I've spent more of my personal money to keep tellers of my order bank happy than my dump bank (ie cookies, muffins, wine, etc). Just my 2 cents.

I think you answered your own question.... :laughing7:

JT10

Oct 29, 2010
The Mitten State

For me, it is the dump bank. I have only found 2 in my area with coin counters. If my order banks cut me off, I wouldn't be able to get boxes but I could still get various rolls from the 50 or so different banks in my area. If my dump banks cut me off, I would have to stop ordering boxes as I wouldn't have any place to bring the dumps.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I agree. I'm more worried that my dump bank will say something than my pick up banks.

I can always go to another bank and open an account with the stipulation that I will want to order halves every week. Or just go around to multiple banks and "shop" for rolls or loose coins.

What am I going to do if my dump bank cuts me off... There are limited counters in my area and I refuse to re roll them and force the tellers to handle them. I like doing it myself and handing them a receipt.

With no place to dump you are forced to use coin star or a machine that you are not a member of the bank. Both will charge you a fee. Coin star is 9.8% and most banks that you are not a member of charge 7-8% or so.

Those fees can add up fast.

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010

There both very important.I have about 20 dump banks and 4 order banks, and I
am always looking for more. Know mater how many of each, you still get the evil eye now and then.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In my area, dump banks are more important as they are harder to find. I would have absolutely no problem ordering more boxes a week than I could search...just don't have enough places to dump them all.

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008

this is one of those Zen questions right? :icon_thumright:

I feel the Order bank is most critical. The key to this game is scale and without order banks you are working off of occasional hand rolls and coworkers change jars.

All my order banks are banks I have an established (10+ year) relationship with, where I have interfaced directly with branch (and one bank, district) managers and explained I am a hobbyist that needs access to a LOT of coin.

Dump banks, they are stray cats. Open an account with min balance. And when they say they don't want your dumps, raise holy hell because they cant refuse your legal tender. The worst they can do is force you to deposit it and then make a separate withdrawal.

All of my dump banks are banks that have slighted me in the past (one dump bank had given me a very bad customer experience in 1997 - I closed the account then - but opened a new account in '08 as part of my need for dump banks) and their payback is taking my dumps.
Due to this philosophy I actually enjoy dumping coin, and the more miserable the dump bank is the happier I am.

Conclusion: Order Banks are key. Dump banks are a dime a dozen.

fiddycent

Oct 23, 2008

In my area dump banks are more important. The more the merrier. I can get coins anywhere. Hate rolling and turning in dumps. Coin counters are a blessing.

Dump banks

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I guess I can say I need order banks it is hard to find a bank that will order for me. Right now I have 2. I have at least 8 banks tghat I can dump at. Do different ones each week.....Matt

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009

Neither as i have access to plenty of both and spread both around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread