Very Good article on silver manipulation

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Very Excellent article on silver manipulation

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/a-conspiracy-with-a-silver-lining/?hp

Based on the article.. silver has more room to run if JP Morgan and HSBC are forced to cover their remaining short positions. I've read about the silver manipulation and investigations into it and this article has the most detail in terms of how the silver market has been repressed for so long. The report claims that they've only gotten rid of 30% of their short positions. If they were forced to cover all of them, silver would be up to $50-60/oz range which is the natural range since gold/silver had always been at a natural 1 to 15 ratio. I'm not selling my CRH finds until we get to that range.

Politics and bribery aside, if those companies are found guilty of manipulation, they could be bankrupt based on the amount they have in short positions. I don't know whether to buy more silver or short JP Morgan/HSBC stock. However, who knows what could happen when major banks are under fire for their stupid mistakes. Perhaps our government lack the guts to truely punish them fearing these "too big to fail" banks could go under. It's like how Madoff got away with so much for so long. The SEC had no guts to question him and took him at his word.

Upvote 0

Moneypenny

Dec 30, 2010
Florida
SFBayArea said:
Very Excellent article on silver manipulation

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/a-conspiracy-with-a-silver-lining/?hp

Based on the article.. silver has more room to run if JP Morgan and HSBC are forced to cover their remaining short positions. I've read about the silver manipulation and investigations into it and this article has the most detail in terms of how the silver market has been repressed for so long. The report claims that they've only gotten rid of 30% of their short positions. If they were forced to cover all of them, silver would be up to $50-60/oz range which is the natural range since gold/silver had always been at a natural 1 to 15 ratio. I'm not selling my CRH finds until we get to that range.

Politics and bribery aside, if those companies are found guilty of manipulation, they could be bankrupt based on the amount they have in short positions. I don't know whether to buy more silver or short JP Morgan/HSBC stock. However, who knows what could happen when major banks are under fire for their stupid mistakes. Perhaps our government lack the guts to truely punish them fearing these "too big to fail" banks could go under. It's like how Madoff got away with so much for so long. The SEC had no guts to question him and took him at his word.

Fascinating article, thanks. I'd only heard bits and pieces of it. I may not feel like I am "investing" by CRHing but I really should be getting educated on the silver market if I plan to hold onto what I find. The conspiracy stuff makes my head spin because it seems to devolve into a kind of "he said/she said" (or, someone is accused of lying to the public and as a mere mortal I have absolutely no way of telling if that's true)... Anyway it's still better to know what each side says (or declines to comment on, haha).

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I'm not suprised that this kinda of stuff going on. Remember Goldmann Sach got a slap on the wrist for their activities in betting against the housing market derivatives. They were selling derivative funds to people backed by risky mortgages while at the same time betting against it. They paid some millions to the SEC and got a slap on the wrist. In my opinion, the article about silver manipulation seems like it could very well be true. However their punishment if caught could be just a slap on the wrist just like Goldmann Sachs. "Too big to fail". However if JPMorgan & HSBC still have a lot of short positions and have gotten rid of 30% of them which in this situation shows that there is still a lot of room for silver prices to grow.

It was really interesting how this guy was criticizing them and became a vitim of a hit and run. Hmmm :coffee2:

dpy52081

Feb 16, 2011
Long Island, NY
Although I disagree with any alleged practices that might be happening, I would not like to see a company like JPMorganChase go bankrupt. Such a bankruptcy would spell disaster for the financial infrastructure of America (which is already in shambles). Yes it might make our silver increase in value, but the gain from that would be far outweighed by the turmoil that this would cause. It would destroy what little faith is left in out banking system, skew the amount of home and business loans that would be feesable and otherwise knock out economy off of its already shaky footing.

(pat on my back for my eloquence, but this was written at 3am after a night of beer and cards) :headbang:

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
dpy52081 said:
Although I disagree with any alleged practices that might be happening, I would not like to see a company like JPMorganChase go bankrupt. Such a bankruptcy would spell disaster for the financial infrastructure of America (which is already in shambles). Yes it might make our silver increase in value, but the gain from that would be far outweighed by the turmoil that this would cause. It would destroy what little faith is left in out banking system, skew the amount of home and business loans that would be feesable and otherwise knock out economy off of its already shaky footing.

(pat on my back for my eloquence, but this was written at 3am after a night of beer and cards) :headbang:

It is just so disappointing. I agree that the SEC and the gov. would not let JP Morgan go under because they're too big to fail. The problem is just the morality of it all. Much of high up people with a ton of money to manipulate the market so they add millions to their stack while us regular joes get screwed over.

I am just so disappointed in the selfishness of human nature. Time and time again it never fails. Bankers, politicans, rich corporate big wigs.. when are we the going to stop letting the top 2% of America dictate what us the 98% of America do in their lives?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions