Think twice before your post any pictures...

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Think before your post any pictures...

$ilver$urfer said:
Jeff,

Any word on what measures TreasureNet takes to strip GPS location data from images posted on this site? There are some legitimate security concerns regarding posting images of our finds on here.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/video?id=7621105

Thanks and HH!!!

$ilver$urfer :hello:

I would think that is the OP responsibility...

OP
OP
$ilver$urfer

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AGCoinHunter said:
$ilver$urfer said:
Jeff,

Any word on what measures TreasureNet takes to strip GPS location data from images posted on this site? There are some legitimate security concerns regarding posting images of our finds on here.

Thanks and HH!!!

Good point, I just wanted to make everyone aware of this security concern as they may not know about it. Perhaps TreasureNet could post a warning to members when they try to upload an image or strip all metadata from the image during the posting process.

HH,

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009

Read/View:
Jeffrey's EXIF Viewer - does MANY formats of images and SHOWS you what you are broadcasting to "the wild".

To Remove:
Use PhotoShop and "Save For Web"
or:
Do a Web Search for "EXIF remove".
It's scary out there folks...

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

$ilver$urfer said:
AGCoinHunter said:
$ilver$urfer said:
Jeff,

Thanks and HH!!!

Good point, I just wanted to make everyone aware of this security concern as they may not know about it. Perhaps TreasureNet could post a warning to members when they try to upload an image or strip all metadata from the image during the posting process.

HH,

Don't post pictures you take, send to your e-mail, print out then scan and upload.

That is the only way that I know of to get rid of the gps tags.

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009

Need proof: Here's a random selection from the current top 10 posts.
Picked at random, and I chose to display this as it did NOT contain GPS info.
Since they use Abode Photoshop - try the "SAVE FOR WEB" button.

P.S. - OP of the photo, your camera batteries are low, or you replaced them without setting the time: Created: 11 years, 2 months, 3 days, 9 hours, 27 minutes, 23 seconds ago

P.P.S. - If you recently had a "Dream Box" with "Enders", it's a REALLY bad idea to post pix with your GPS enabled Apple iPhone 4 from work, CRHing on the clock.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most phones let you turn off the geotag feature. Make sure you check that...

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
Protection is great... when you are home.

Illinois is wanting to publish the names of all people who have a FOID card (Firearm owners Identification) which is required to have if you have guns, so lets tell the criminals what houses to break in to when no one is home...

Pezmur

Mar 8, 2011

FreedomUIC said:
$ilver$urfer said:
AGCoinHunter said:
$ilver$urfer said:
Jeff,

Thanks and HH!!!

HH,

Don't post pictures you take, send to your e-mail, print out then scan and upload.

That is the only way that I know of to get rid of the gps tags.
That is too cumbersome and unnecessary. There are dedicated tools to remove metadata from photos, like this free photo metadata removal tool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions