Todays Dimes & Quarters....with an all copper dime

OP
OP
H

HeritageAddict

Greenie
Feb 26, 2011
Re: Todays Dimes & Quarters

Should have posted a picture of the copper dime earlier, but was having a hard time getting a picture that showed the color very well...if you weren't paying attention you would think it was a penny at first glance.

copperdime.jpg

Syrys

Oct 2, 2010

Hold the dime up next to a penny. Are they the same size? Nice find with the silver dime :thumbsup:

OP
OP
H

HeritageAddict

Greenie
Feb 26, 2011

It's the same size as a regular dime, here is a picture of it next to a penny.

pennydime.jpg

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very cool!

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Todays Dimes & Quarters....with an all copper dime

Pretty weird looking dime. If you look at the edge under magnification can you see the usual split line that separates the copper and nickel?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm no expert on errors, but the way the edge of that dime looks you may just have a dime struck on a penny planchette. I think those are really rare, and can be quite valuable. There are plenty of experts on this forum that could be of much greater assistance than me on that one.

Also what you could have is a dime that has been through a coin tumbler with a bunch of copper pennies. Metal detectorists usually run their clad through a tumbler to clean them before spending/cashing them in. A dime that has been tumbled with a bunch of copper pennies will take on the color of those copper pennies.

I hope you have the error! :icon_thumleft:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

It could just be heavily corroded with the nickel layer was corroded away. I've seen a lot of corroded quarters and dimes that look like all copper after being in the ground for while. Weigh the dime and see it weighs the same as other regular dimes.

OP
OP
H

HeritageAddict

Greenie
Feb 26, 2011

In person the dime does not show any signs of corrosion. I just weighed it and it weighs in a 2.185 grams so a little lighter than a normal dime.

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

usafaviator

Greenie
Feb 8, 2011

It looks like somebody probably just threw it in a tumbler mixed with pennies to clean it up. When you do that, all your silver will get the copper hue. When you dig coins out of the ground, tumbling them is one of the easiest/most effective ways to clean them, but you have to separate the copper from the silver (color). :icon_thumright:

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010

Take it to a coin dealer and see what he says.
rileyboy

princessmila

May 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious how it turned out with this coin as I have the same one/same year. Havent been able to find out much about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread