Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Jun 2010
    Los Angeles
    My Nose

Road Kill Coins and Lead Wheel Weights

March 6th, 2011
    Los Angeles, California

When I was a kid growing up in Louisville, Kentucky in the mid 1960s, I worked with an old man who had a pick-up truck. We made money hauling junk like Sanford & Son. We also sold scrap metal to the scrap yard. We sold steel, and stainless steel, brass, copper, cast iron and aluminum Ė which was not as widely used then as it is today. My take was 1/3 of whatever money we made.

The old man would use a magnet to distinguish steel from stainless steel, which is non-ferrous. I didnít need a magnet, I could tell the difference by just looking. We would build a fire and burn the insulation from copper electrical wire. And while the old man took a lunch break I would clip and remove copper wire windings from old electric motors and sealed refrigerator (we called them ice boxes) units. Today I see people picking up aluminum cans on the streets, yet step right over copper tubing that fell from a plumberís truck. They just donít know.

While riding my bicycle on Sunday mornings I pick up any coins and wheel weights that I find. I use the lead to make casts of the footprints of my grandchildren. Yes, I know to be careful about lead vapor fumes and lead poisoning. Incidentally, the very busy streets where I live are littered with coins and wheel weights (just beat the street sweeper). Many of the wheel weights are new. When people buy new tires, they are balanced. But many tires donít stay balanced for long. An unbalanced tire will cause a rough ride at higher speeds and also premature tire wear.

Anyway, I guess looking for silver coins has been a natural progression for me. Iíve been looking for one kind of metal or another for most of my life!

In the accompanying photograph, can you spot the wheat-back penny & dime? Thanks for reading.

Half-Hound

2011 silver coin totals: 16 90% halves, 62 40% halves and still stuck on 11 silver dimes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LITE Road Kill Coins & Wheel Weights.jpg 
Views:	1757 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	506105  
    Honor Lies In Honest Toil

us
    Sep 2007
    N. San Diego County
    Ace 250
    17 times
    Metal Detecting

Re: Road Kill Coins and Lead Wheel Weights

I do a lot of bike riding too and have picked up quite a few coins off of the road.

us
    Oct 2007
    Northern, OH
    DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
    349 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

My dad this this the last few years of his life. He would ride his bike 5 to 10 miles a day. All the money he found he would put it in a drawer and at the end of the year he would count it and buy himself something or go out to eat at a special place.

I am always picking up coins when I am out walking. I walk a couple miles a day and I find a few coins a week.......Matt
    CRH 2014 find
    wheaties
    War Nickels
    Buffalo
    Mercs 4
    Rosie 6
    90% Kennedy
    Franklin
    Walkers
    40% halfs
    Detecting Finds
    Dollars
    Quarters `
    Silver Quarters
    Dimes
    Silver Dimes
    Nickels
    Pennies
    Wheaties
    rings

us
    Nov 2009
    Upstate NY
    My eyes
    146 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

The dime is the 2nd coin down in the middle, the wheatie is just above and to the right of the 3 folded coins....??
    2015 stash - 40 ounces
    Silver Eagles - 1
    War Nickels - 20
    Merc's - 39
    Rosies - 39
    Washingtons - 28
    Walkers - 21
    90% Kens - 36
    40% Kens - 72
    Canadian dimes - 36

us
    Nov 2009
    Lexington KY
    Garrett Ace 350
    33 times

I melt the wheel weights and make bullets.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links