Would you do it?

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
Several years ago when I was about to head to Oklahoma for the annnual family reunion and detecting trip I asked around about buying up some rolls in small towns. The advice that I got was that it wasn't worth it. While I was there for a week I got like 5 wheats and 2 silver coins just in change buying, sodas, gas, etc. I think I made a huge mistake not taking some cash and hitting the small town banks. What do you folks think? Have you had any luck hitting small town banks? I should be heading back to the SW corner of Oklahoma for a week in August or September. I am sure considering taking some $$ and buying rolls.

Rich

Upvote 0
S

stefen

No pain, no gain!

Or as they say, you need to put your money at risk to make a profit.

Remember, there is no downside because you still can return the money or exchange it for some more rolls.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just go search through Hothgar's posts.... his best finds seem to be at small town banks... He has found quite a few small hoardes of silver coins in the past year!

The small town banks I have tried have had nothing, and then I tried a town with 50,000 people and it was loaded with silver everywhere!

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
You would think that especially with halves, they would sit in a vault collecting dust. Nobody in a small town would have much use for them, so I can see the logic about small towns having caches of them they wish they could get rid of.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
never been a roll hunter but have traveled extensively, in many small towns...in change recieved from purchases in no-where places i still get quite alot of silver, wheats and such....never seems to happen in bigger cities/towns,,,,,,,,g

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Go for it. I live in a small town and get a silver half every other roll of coins.

thudson

Apr 7, 2006
Nebraska Panhandle
I am going to western Kansas the day after the 4th and I plan on taking 3000$ just to buy coin. My best luck has been at smaller town banks where they just accumulate halves and will generally sell all to me to get rid of them. So ya take as much as you can and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread