Found a Queen Victoria coin

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
It had seemed like a while since I turned up a stunner in my coin searching, but last Friday I think I found one (at least for me). In a box of halves that had a whole lot of 40's, towards the end of it, I found a 1901 British Honduras 50 cent piece. Obviously I didn't know what this was for a second and even after reading its inscriptions I had no idea what it was worth.

My catalog states that 10,000 were minted and that it is 92.5% silver (.3465 ASW, so it's a bit smaller than a US half). The value they give for F is $35. Perhaps this one is worth $30 or so?

This is the second non-US & non-Canadian silver coin I've ever found and this one makes my top 10 most valuable list. :)

-Brian

Here's a picture of a "semi-stunner" I found in February. A 1943 British Raj Half Rupee I found in a roll of quarters. It's 50% silver (.0937 ASW).

Attachments

• 1901_british_honduras_50_cent.jpg
    1901_british_honduras_50_cent.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 484
  • half_rupee_1943.JPG
    half_rupee_1943.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 434
Upvote 0

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds there K.

What was British Honduras is now Belize.

Your half rupee coin, from (than) British controlled India, was minted at the Bombay mint; as evidenced by the "....small dot or diamond on the reverse under the ornate (the lotus flower) near the bottom of the coin ."

Thanks for sharing.

Half-Hound

Jun 22, 2010
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
How to merge two photographs?

Hello and thanks for your post. May I ask how you are able to take an obverse photo and reverse photo (two photos) and make one single photo? I have been trying to do that - but haven't been able to.

Thanks again, Half-Hound

OP
OP
kestrelia

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
Half-Hound,

I used MSPaint to stitch the two photos together. I think most photo editors would let you do something similar.

Brian

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Honduras coin, a little smaller than a US half but had sterling silver(92.5%)... better than a 90% silver coin...

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008
Congratulations on the foreign silver...it's always nice to find an unusual coin...especially a >90%er.

HH
CD

Argblat

Greenie
Nov 18, 2008
Re: How to merge two photographs?

Half-Hound said:
Hello and thanks for your post. May I ask how you are able to take an obverse photo and reverse photo (two photos) and make one single photo? I have been trying to do that - but haven't been able to.

Thanks again, Half-Hound

@Half-House ... Assuming you don't have (or can get) Photoshop, which would be ideal, there is a free image manipulation software alternative called Gimp (http://www.gimp.org/)

What I would do in Photoshop (and what you can do with Gimp) is open both images, create a new image that is the correct size to house both, and then copy and paste the two images into the new blank template and save it off as a jpeg.

Hope that helps,
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread