Spending the half dollars (LOL)

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Instead of rerolling the halves and taking them back to the bank I spend mine. I have about $1200 worth. I see the funniest stuff when I give them to the cashier or give them as tips. Saturday we were at a chinese restaurant and I left 7 halves as a tip. We got up to pay the bill at the counter and we look back and there were three chinese waitresses at our table and they were looking at the coins. They didn't know what the heck they were. They ended up showing them to even another waitress. LoL

Yesterday we were at the bookstore and my wife paid for her book with half dollars. There was a line behind her. The cashier says wait a minute and takes the coins with him to the back of the store. A couple minutes later he comes back and puts them in the till and gives my wife a receipt. Evidently he felt he had to check with his supervisor about accepting the halves. It was funny because I wasn't the one waiting in line.

Upvote 0

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Lol. I do the same thing. The bank i belong to will only order me a box of halves if i spend them somewhere else. I tried giving them to other banks but they wont accept either. So, i have to spend them. Spent $20 at CVS pharmacy the other day, they accepted them.

-CC

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I spend as many as possible before bringing them back in to my bank. Got a 500 dollar box last week, and when I took it in today there was 180 left, lol!

I paid my electric bill with them, my internet bill, phone bill, cups of coffee in the mornings, filling up the gas tank, etc.

Funny thing- when I went to pay the Comcast bill, it was past time for the next months bill to come out. I wanted to pay both months and the tellers started squawking. I told them I had already spoken to their district manager and paid at that branch because he specifically told me I could pay in coin. They were still squawking when I left, my current months bill unpaid.

I got a call from them later that afternoon, asking me to pay up to get current. As we were talking, she said "Oh I see you already paid" I said Yeah, but they refused my current payment. She perked right up and said "WHAT?!?" I said "Yep" and explained fully what had transpired.... She said "I am all over this, that should've never happened..." I said, "My feelings exactly, money is money. I don't care if they don't LIKE handling it, its payment in full, and they refused it."

We'll see what happens next month.

I don't seem to have any problems spending them anywhere, except Comcast. And with all the grief these people have given me in the past with their non-service, outages, and just downright idiocy on the part of their service techs, I could care less. One of the service techs actually unhooked me when they were installing my neighbors! Took four days to get them to come back and hook it up, and several hours of phone calls to every manager I could lay my hands on. Never even got a credit on my bill for that..... no sympathy here, lol!

OP
OP
R

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
There have been several cashiers that thought they were really cool when I paid with them. I told them I had extra if they wanted to purchase them. I have traded halves for bills with at least 4 cashiers.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid $40 worth at Wal-Mart one day in rolls..... the lady actually made me write my name and number on all of them! haha... I was thinking to myself... so what if I didn't count them write and Wal-Mart calls, what are they going to do about it? haha

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
If worst comes to worst... although i hate to say this you could always use coinstar... they dont charge you a fee if you change your change into a gift gard for amazon.com, starbucks, and other stores. Spending them is more fun though.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One way I "cash" mine in is I run a group lotto here at work. I take in the paper money from my coworkers, but buy the tickets from several different convenience stores with halves. I also pay with them when I purchase $15 or less at stores. I thought myself about getting the gift cards at coinstar, but I dont buy at amazon or starbucks, so that will have to wait until they do one at a place I frequent.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I bought a part for my clothes dryer at the local Sears parts outlet last week. Total cost: $9.20, and I paid with a roll.
The girl was unsure about accepting it, but her boss told her to count them to be sure there was the full 10 bucks.
She spread them out on the counter, and he started looking at the dates for each one.
I did not bother to tell him he would not find anything of value haha....

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
I'm giving my cousin a Treasure Chest full of halves and Sac dollars for his wedding! (posted under Misc-Everything Else-wedding gift for geek...I mean, Pirates!)

Showtime

Jul 4, 2006
Northern Virginia
I found a pile of SBA's and tried spending some of the lesser quality ones, the teller at the grocery store definatly had to call the manager over before she would take them. The manager then even asked if I had any bills I could spend instead, I said no(even though I did). People frustrate me at times ???

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
I tried to spend $8.00 in halves to pay for dvd rentals at the video store which is located within a grocery store.
The manager of the video store told me she would not take them and told me to go to customer service to trade them in for paper currency. I didn't feel like waiting in the long line at customer service that day. So I just don't bother spending them that frequently. It's easier for me to drop them off at a bank.

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
LOL... I do the same thing. I carry about $100 worth in the glove box of the car, and use them to pay for small items, carwash, drive-throughs, and tips (if I could just remember to carry them into the restaurants!) I've never had any problems unloading them, although I did thoroughly confuse a parking attendent. She tried to give me back more change than the halves were worth!!

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
One of my pet peeves is dealing with people who (for lack of a better term) lack common sense. Perhaps it is not so much a pet peeve, as it is one of my failings: I get impatient when confronted with someone who wants to argue with me over stoopid stuff that a supreme majority (99.9999%) of folks would not have a problem with.

To ME, a person with common sense would understand that a) A Kennedy Half-dollar is legal tender U.S. Currency, b) accepting legal tender U.S. Currency is part of the job description, and c) To argue the point or to have to "go get one's supervisor, manager, etc." is a waste of time for all concerned.

On that note, if an establishment has a rule prohibiting acceptance of Kennedy Half Dollars, then my opinion of the management is (quite obviously) that they lack common sense and/or good judgement.

Unfortunately, there are many such people on this earth, and it is a continuing quest on my part to practice being patient while they demonstrate their lack of sense to myself and sometimes other people as well.

The most common comment I get regarding halves of course is something like: "Wow...you don't see those around very much anymore".

I used to not have to deal with such situations very much. But it goes with the territory when you start carrying around halves.
;D

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
The more you spend on transactions, with people's tendency to hoard them, the less you'll see in any rolls or boxes you buy......down the road.

dlindsay

Jan 28, 2007
Western Ky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , DFX and others
I try and do the same in putting them out there for the public.
I stopped by Mickey D's the other day. Got a large coffee, gave the young gal 3 halves. She looked at them, then looked at me dumb founded. I told her they were half dollars, she said she had never seen one in her whole life. Then she looked at me again, I had to tell her how much change to give me back. LOL It was over here head!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah... the looks on people's faces when you pay for things with half dollars is priceless.

It's even more fun when you are giving them to someone who is obviously not from this country.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thurmonator, that is the BIGGEST reason I spend the majority of my halves. I figure the more that are put away by folks is more I will NOT have to go thru later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread