1973 or 1978 dime question

alaskanfever

Mar 8, 2011
ALASKA
hey all my search this week was something a bit different i found either a 1973 or a 1978 dime i dont remember the date. But it is not a ordinary dime i was edge checking the dimes and this one looks as if it is silver but it does not sound like silver when i bounce it on the table. what do you think i have and what do you think it is worth?

Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Worth a dime.

If it doesn't sound like silver, that is the giveaway. It is not silver. It is either a bad mix when they put hte coin togeher, or (More probalby) someone make it look silver for some reason.

That's what most of mine are. Someone painted the side, etched it, or in other way make it look silver.

chow

Feb 25, 2010
MIDWEST
could be silver if it has an "s" mint mark and was part of a silver proof set.

the drop (sound) test is a lot harder with dimes as opposed to halves because they are smaller - when in doubt i throw it out...

sitman

Aug 2, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70
Silver proof sets ended in 1964 and did not begin again until 1992, so there is no way this is a silver proof dime. The only known silver errors occur in the year or two after silver was last struck for circulation, e.g. 1965 dimes, 1971 half dollars, and 1977 half dollars. Since the last previous silver year was 1964 for dimes, it is not an error coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread