Gold Plated Half Dollar find.

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I searched a box of Half Dollars and was in for a shock when I saw Gold edges on one of the coins.

The coin is a 1998-D. Unfortunately for me, I read that the Gold plating is so thin that it only adds a few pennies if even that to the metal value of the coin. Although I read that a lot of Gold plated Half Dollars have a second date stamped on them by a private mint, mine only has the US Mint date on it. It probably isn't gold painted, as I submerged this coin in boiling water for about 7 minutes to test for that. I'm wondering why someone would gold plate this coin, and why I got it in my roll. The most valuable things about this coin are:

1. It almost certainly prooves that Loomis employees are NOT allowed to change valuble coins with their own money. While this coin probably isn't valuable, it definitely has a shock or "wow" factor to it.

2. I was able to get back at my co-workers for the gold foil chocolate Half Dollar incident :laughing7:. They once came back from the grocery store on break saying to me "Matt, look what we found in the Coinstar, a Gold Dollar!" They actually had me going, and they wouldn't show me the coin up close. I really started to believe it when I saw the eagle. Then finally, one of my other co-workers said "Is that choclolate?" and then the jig was up. I got them back with a real coin :headbang:.

Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I've seen a few hundred of those over the past 4 years. Many people did it for many reasons.

No extra value to them, and I throw them back all the time. threw one back today in fact.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
some people have tried to market gilded coins

Attachments

• Stamped_Kennedy.jpg
    Stamped_Kennedy.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,137
  • Stamped_Kennedy.jpg
    Stamped_Kennedy.jpg