Last minute trip to the dump bank turned up SILVER!!!!!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At last minute, I decided to go to my local bank with a coin counter and dump my $400 in coins, mostly half dollars. All is good until the nickel bag fills up. The teller in charge of the machine pulls it out and places the nickel bag aside and lets me dump the rest of my coins in the hopper.
The half dollar bag fills up. The teller, she drops the bag of half dollars onto the floor. I heard that familiar cling of silver!!!

I told the teller that i see coins in there that I collect. I then asked her if I could swap out some half dollars for ones I want in the bag.

First the teller was hesitant, but eventually said sure, but needed to do it quick because people were waiting in line to cash in their coins.

She asks me, "Are you looking for the silver ones?"

I reply, "Yes"

She pulls a handfull out of the $100 bag of half dollars and edge-searches. "Is 1967 a good year?"

"Yes, anything before 1970 is what I am looking for."

She does a couple more handfulls insisting that she has to put the bag in the vault, but eventually I persuaded her into letting me search the bag quickly.

I did not have enough time to search the whole bag, as she was kind of rushing me. (My guess is that she's not allowed to do what she was doing, or she wanted to keep some for herself.)

So for face value I bought $7 in half dollars from the machine bag. The take:
Most of which were in very good shape!

2x 1968d
9x 1967
2x 1966
1x 1964

Not bad for $7... I guess today was my lucky day! Unfortunately I couldn't search the whole bag as there could have been at least 10 more in the bag, didn't see any Bens or walkers though, just silver Kennedies when looking...

Hopefully my 2 boxes of half dollars are coming this Tuesday.

HH!

:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score but you should have just purchased the whole bag off of them - you left without all of the silver you could have had!!! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
Nice job educating your competition. ::)
She let me pick out silver for face value, if she really wanted the silver for herself, she wouldn't have let me search the bag. Plus I did not tell her the value and she didn't ask. She had to already be knowlegable on the silver coins since she automatically pulled out a 1967 for me as well.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$ilver$urfer said:
Nice score but you should have just purchased the whole bag off of them - you left without all of the silver you could have had!!! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:
I did ask but she said once it is in the bag, there is no possible way to purchase the bag, but allowed me to swap out... But I was being rushed ::)

All in all, got silver for face value though, from my dump bank too!!!

gtfan76

Jun 24, 2010
Diver_Down said:
Nice job educating your competition. ::)
Wow just wow. Can you try to actually try and comment on the finds and not make a smart ass comment?

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always nice to get silver at face value......Matt

iowaguy

Jan 9, 2011
Sweet score! Sometimes I think people get too worked up thinking people are ruining stuff and that silver searching is some CIA secret! You didn't do anything wrong in my book man you got some silver at face value and heck that teller might save more back for you if she sees it in future too

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions