Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
alaskanfever said:
So i notice that alot of people here are keeping their canadian coins why is that? i just check the dates and keep the silver ones is there a reason to keep the others?
They are tough to get rid of, as most banks won't accept em. Here in the north, I get about 10 for every $100 in U.S. dimes and quarters.

OP
OP
alaskanfever

alaskanfever

Mar 8, 2011
ALASKA
oh well my thoughts and opinions are they gave them to me so i am going to give them the ones i dont want back. ;D

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never had a problem getting rid of them. I just put them back in the bag and they go thur the counter.....Matt

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Put them through the counter? From 1999 to today, Canadian dimes are plated steel. Are there magnets in a counter? Also, as of today, the Canadian dollar is worth more than the U S dollar by 2c....you'd think banks would take them for a 2% instant profit.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin machines still take modern canadians. Where I am, hardly any canadian coins show up, just the average 4-5 per box of pennies and 1-2 per box of nickels. Haven't gotten any in dimes yet. Never searched quarters. None on half dollars.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
I am saving them up for a trip to niagra falls. Also got a coin shop [who has morgans for $28 ea] willing to sell canadian currency cheap when i go.

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
The Canadian dollar is worth more than our dollar now. So, for each Canadian coin you save, you are making like 100th of a cent! Woohoo!

Felixaaron

Jan 1, 2011
Canadian dimes are like fools silver to me. I crack open a roll and see bright silver edge... then notice the reeding is too wide to be american. After seeing so many I can tell before I take it out that its Canadian. Only one of my many Canadians was silver.

Then there is the British fools silver. Much easier to spot as fools silver because they are much wider.

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
Felixaaron said:
Canadian dimes are like fools silver to me. I crack open a roll and see bright silver edge... then notice the reeding is too wide to be american. After seeing so many I can tell before I take it out that its Canadian. Only one of my many Canadians was silver.

Then there is the British fools silver. Much easier to spot as fools silver because they are much wider.
Are you refering to the thicker British 5 pence coins? Annoying arent they? I once got around a dozen of them in $200 of dimes, probably my least favorite foreign coin

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can run them through the machines, just hold them out far enough to not get caught by the magnets.
HH
enamel7

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Canadian is rich in Oil from their Oil sands. It's been said that they might have enought to rival Saudia Arabia. That's why Canadian money will be worth more than U.S. money in the long run.

FIRE310

Mar 22, 2011
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO, Ace 250, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I throw them back in the bag of dimes going to the dump bank. My teller said their coin counter doesnt reject the dimes..

OP
OP
alaskanfever

alaskanfever

Mar 8, 2011
ALASKA
thanks guys i will just continue to throw them back since i live in alaska there are a few canadian coins. But i have found it to be profitable to check them since i have found 6 silver ones so far this year doing so.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
alaskanfever said:
So i notice that alot of people here are keeping their canadian coins why is that? i just check the dates and keep the silver ones is there a reason to keep the others?
They are tough to get rid of, as most banks won't accept em. Here in the north, I get about 10 for every $100 in U.S. dimes and quarters.

WOW...You get 10 per 100 Dollars, I guess that makes sense because of your location. Ive only found maybe 3 in a 1000 Dollars...I just throw them in a bag with the rest of the foreign coins

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
fistfulladirt said:
alaskanfever said:

WOW...You get 10 per 100 Dollars, I guess that makes sense because of your location. Ive only found maybe 3 in a 1000 Dollars...I just throw them in a bag with the rest of the foreign coins
DnD, the counter at my CU is nice, quick, and spits out anything Canadian, bent, or really worn. I wonder why it doesn't reject guitar picks?

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i spend my Canadian coins cuz there the coins i mostly get in change i get loads of American cents and also lots of wheat cents the oldest wheats i found in change was 1917 i also got a 1913 and a 1920 a few from the 30s and loads of them from the 50s and 40s but hardly get any old style Canadian cents in my change only 2 or 3 the same with metal detecting but aways find wheat cents but onley one old style Canadian cent and the funny this is i live in Canada :dontknow:

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
treasurepirate1 said:
i spend my Canadian coins cuz there the coins i mostly get in change i get loads of American cents and also lots of wheat cents the oldest wheats i found in change was 1917 i also got a 1913 and a 1920 a few from the 30s and loads of them from the 50s and 40s but hardly get any old style Canadian cents in my change only 2 or 3 the same with metal detecting but aways find wheat cents but onley one old style Canadian cent and the funny this is i live in Canada :dontknow:
Do you guys ever get any Canadian King George silver coins in change up there?

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
santafeboy said:
treasurepirate1 said:
Do you guys ever get any Canadian King George silver coins in change up there?
nope i have never found a Canadian George silver in my change but i do very rarely i get a newer queen Elisabeth silver in my change one quarter in mint state and a dime in very bad shape

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that pre-2000 Canadian dimes and quarters and pre-1982 Canadian nickels are 100% nickel. I don't know what melt value on the dimes and quarters is, but on the nickels it's around 11 cents. I save all of them. The Royal Canadian Mint is actively pulling all of the 100% nickel coins (and silver when they come across them) from circulation. They started doing this in early 2005. I read that in 2009, they recovered several millions of dollars in nickel and silver coins.
The only ones I return to circulation are the plated steel ones and the 1982 and later nickels (for several years beginning in 1982, Canadian nickels were the same composition as U.S. nickels).

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread