A buy bank becomes a dump bank

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
Funny thing happened yesterday at one of my banks, one that I do not buy much volume from because they are just a small branch of a hometown bank. The most they would sell to me at one time was $10 in pennies. All of the tellers there know me well, been banking there for 15 yrs.

I went in to ask the head teller to place an order for a box of halves for me. She informed me that they were having trouble keeping up with the coin demands of their local business customers. She asked me what I did with the leftover coins after I picked out the keepers. I told her that I had been selling some to a couple of stores, and turning the rest in at a few branches of other larger banks. I told her that I didn't want to swamp them with too many coins, being that they are such a small bank. She asked me to bring all of my dump coins to them and they would buy all that I can deliver. I went ahead and sold them all the boxes of rolls that I had in the car that I was going to dump at my next stop. This should work out well, because I don't normally get to buy much from them anyways.

The other banks wanted me to order 2 boxes ($1000) in halves before they would place an order. She said she could order one box ($500) for me. My first box of halves should be in by friday :icon_thumright:

Bob

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kb4iqm

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
My halves Brinks box arrived, but the head teller only wanted me to buy half of the box at a time. She explained that if I buy the whole box at once, they would have to charge me the transport fee for ordering the box. No problem... I took the first half box out to the car and sorted through them carefully, then returned them to her and she exchanged them for the other half. Instead of sorting and returning the other half box of halves there, I drove to a nearby town for lunch and sorted through them in the car. The whole box was a SKUNK for silver, but I did find a nice mint state bicentennial with a mild golden toning. Swapped it out for one of the extra clad halves I brought for the occasion. Nearby was a large branch of my bank, so I dumped the halves there and picked up a box of dimes, a box of nickels, and a box of pennies. The box of dimes was a SKUNK as well, the nickels and pennies I'll go through later. I dumped the box of dimes at the small bank on my way back home and she was real happy to get them.

OP
OP
kb4iqm

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
Forgot to mention, when I dumped the dimes I picked up $100 in CWR dimes. Went through them last night and noticed that 5 of the rolls were weighing in one dime heavy each. Did a quick count on one to verify and sure enough, 51 dimes. So I pulled one dime out on each of those and then they re-weighed correctly. No silver but came out 50 cents in my favor.

I weigh all penny rolls to get an idea of how many coppers they contain. An all-plated zinc roll weighs in at about 125 grams + wrapper weight, typically 125.2 to 125.6 grams total, while an all-copper roll weighs in at about 155 grams + wrapper. My best 2 CWR penny rolls were 2 days ago. One weighed in at 152.7 grams and contained 46 coppers with more than 50% of them bright and uncirculated. The other weighed in at 150.4 grams and contained 44 coppers with about 20% of them bright and uncirculated. With those 2 rolls I put on gloves to keep finger oils off of the pennies, and put the best of the brights in individual homemade paper folders (made from cut up folded dime wrappers) until I can buy some more 19mm airtites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread