My first road trip off of Long Island

dpy52081

Feb 16, 2011
Long Island, NY
So I decided that I have hit the banks on LI and Queens pretty hard and decided to try some new territory and head north of the City.

Very few banks had any halves at all, so I started to ask about Ikes and $2 bills just so I would have something to search through.
I ended up with some interesting stuff. I got 3 $2 star notes (1976 and two 1995s), unfortunately they weren't crisp, but aren't completely mangled either. I also got a 1953 red seal. I figured I could flip them and make a few bucks. In all the $2 bills I got, I almost made a rookie mistake.... I got somewhere around 75 sequential crisp mint $2 bills and was just going to spend them or deposit them until someone told me I could probably sell them. Is this true?

I also ended up with around 300 Ikes, 250 of them are probably sellable.

Only silver half I found was a 1967 clad.

I also ended up with 3 silver quarters. I was trying to dump the junk halves I got at a TD bank, and the guy in front of me was dumping quarters. We got to chatting and he told me he owned a laundry. When he checked his rejects, he found 3 silvers. I asked if he collected, and he said no. I told him I was a collector and offered to buy the quarters from him. He thought they were only worth 3-4 each, and I told him they were a little more than 6 each and offered to buy the 3 for $15. He said I could just have them since he didn't collect and appreciated the fact that I didn't take advantage of him not knowing the price and didn't try and rip him off.

All in all:

1 40%
3 silver washington quarters (all common dates)
3 Star Notes
1 Red Seal
300+ Ikes
Aprox 75 Crisp uncirculated sequential $2 bills :)

Upvote 0

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
awesome finds!!! how many 2's did u search b4 u got the red seal?
PS i spend the uncircs personally, but some save them hoping to make a few bucks. hope this helps!

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could spend the $2s at Best Buy and hope you get arrested, then call in a lawyer and sue for millions in a wrongful arrest lawsuit :laughing7:.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
dpy52081 said:
I ended up with some interesting stuff. I got 3 $2 star notes (1976 and two 1995s), unfortunately they weren't crisp, but aren't completely mangled either. I also got a 1953 red seal. I figured I could flip them and make a few bucks. In all the $2 bills I got, I almost made a rookie mistake.... I got somewhere around 75 sequential crisp mint $2 bills and was just going to spend them or deposit them until someone told me I could probably sell them. Is this true?

I sold a crisp 76 star for $17 with free shipping on ebay a few months back.

The new uncirc. $2 bills will be in a flooded market, I'm afraid.

It is worth trying, though. 15 people told me that I was an idiot for trying to sell the $2 star that I had.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the Ikes for errors, there are a couple Ike errors that will pay off well. I've found a few of them

OP
OP
dpy52081

dpy52081

Feb 16, 2011
Long Island, NY
What Ikes are errors? I know to look for the 1972 Type II and IIIs, and also for 1973 Ikes (found 2 so far in AU+/BU- shape). What are other key dates and errors to look for? I have gotten a lot of gold toned ones, but they just look like garbage because it looks like nobody took care of them.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the 72's are the ones that I look for, the high relief(type 1) is worth around 180 dollars in uncirculated condition. The high relief modified(type 2) is worth about 40-50 bucks in uncirculated condition. There are also different variants of the bicentennial, where the words "one dollar" on the reverse side are thinner letters than the normal letters. These aren't worth nearly as much as the 72 error though, but still cool to have in the collection.

OP
OP
dpy52081

dpy52081

Feb 16, 2011
Long Island, NY
I thought the Type II Ikes were the ones worth money.

The type Is have all the Islands east of FL
Type II have no islands
Type III some islands are west of FL.

at least that's what I thought. Have you had any luck selling them?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread