Gold Plated Kennedy Commemoratives ~ Have you found one recently?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I just opened my weekly box, and found one of the 24 karat plated JFK commemoratives with the 1960-1985 dates counter stamped on the front.

I've read about these many, many times in various threads on this forum. It seems like a rash of them have been found in the past month.

Did someone end up with a large batch of these unsold coins, and decided to dump them?

How recently have you found one?

What area are you from?

I'm in Indiana, and just found my first one this week.

Upvote 0

cn2005

Greenie
Mar 4, 2011
MA.
I've only read about them until I picked up my 2 boxes on Friday and found 1 in each box, at first glance rim searching I thought I got lucky but immediatley thought of this plated coin I read about. Still cool to find but not silver so back in the dump they go. South of Boston ma.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I have found them on rare occasions, but definitely on occasions, for about 4 years now.

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
Im in Northern California I found one today. I have only found 1 other. I save them with my miscellanious modern coins

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
one of these ?

Attachments

• Stamped_Kennedy.jpg
    Stamped_Kennedy.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 234
  • Stamped_Kennedy.jpg
    Stamped_Kennedy.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 241

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, White's DFX-300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clovis,
I'm in Northern Virginia, and I find them pretty regularly -- not every week, and certainly not every box, but not infrequently. Some of the gold plated halves I see are counter-stamped and some are not. I've seen variety of counter-stamps. One has "1960" and "1980"; and the other has "1960" and "1985".
I saw a post from Treeslayer last week. He had found a solid roll of the gold plate ones. Not sure if he mentioned if his were counter-stamped or not.
I do think these are the novelty coins that Coolpix proposed. No real value, but good examples are nice, and I use them for token gifts to folks who help me with my coin roll hunting -- tellers mostly.
Best wishes,
Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions