sweet rainbow-toned memorial cents

FingerGrime

Mar 3, 2009
Kentucky
I finished a bag of cents earlier. The first several handfuls had several wheats, but they soon dropped of. I ended up slightly better than average on the wheat front, with the earliest being a 1926.
Then bu cents started popping up. They were all either '60D, '64D,'68D, '72 or '74. Most of them seem to have very little wear. i ended up getting about 150 bu cents. I'm thinking a lot of them are in the MS63 range (but I am not an experienced grader). I got about a roll worth of 1960D (large date) coins, all with awesome rainbow toning. (The other BU coins didn't have this toning). Anyways, check out this sweet pic:

IMG_2810.JPG

Upvote 0

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
Awesome find! Way better than mine.

I had a pretty good penny roll hunt on thursday when going through a $25 batch of CWR's. Ended up with over 30 of the 60's & 70's era MS/BU cents. Over a dozen average circulated wheats in that batch as well. My harvest was about 600 coppers that day.

There were a lot of really nasty pennies in 6 of the rolls that looked like they were out of someones tobacco spit bucket. Stained black, some lightly corroded, and covered with little bits of tobacco stuck to them. That's what I get for asking for customer wrapped rolls here in TN :laughing7:

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything prior to 1980 is copper in cents. Am I correct in this?

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
FreedomUIC said:
Anything prior to 1980 is copper in cents. Am I correct in this?

No, all cents up to 1982 are copper cents. Some 1982 cents are copper, others are copper plated zinc. The only real way to figure out which ones of the 1982 ones are copper and which ones are zinc are to weigh them. Copper cents should weight about 3.11 grams, whereas a copper plated zinc cent only weights about 2.5 grams.

tenseventyfive

Apr 25, 2010
The heck with that - I just save the 1981 and before - for what we're talking about, I can't see wasting the time trying to cull out the copper 82's from the zinc - when you break it down, the time of your life is worth more, so I can't justify it myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions