$250 in Dimes

J

jblavit

Hello all,
I am new here and also had a question. I recently searched all my lose change and found 2 silver dimes, after examining them I noticed that you can tell the difference between a silver dime and a regular one just by looking at the side, insted of seeing that copper color it is all silver. So today I got $250 brinks box of dimes from the bank and I started pooring the rolls out. But then I noticed because the wrappers are just thin plastic you can easily look and see if there are any silver dimes in that roll from using the side technique without breaking the seal and pooring them out. I was wondering if this is a good way to look or am I missing a lot this way.

Also I did not find one silver dime doing it this way? Is it common to not find one in $250 worth.

And Finally I know this way does not alow for looking for mint errors and good dates(besides the silver ones) So are there any good dates to look for and mint mistakes with dimes?

Any thoughts and help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a good way to find silver, but you won't find any 1982's with the missing P mintmark or find any proofs with S mintmarks, but it's all fine if you're just looking for silver. BTW, from some of the reports we've seen of dime boxes searched, it's not uncommon to get skunked on a whole box.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the glancing at edges through the clear rolls is the way I used to do it. I found plenty of silver that way, even a few mercury dimes. Some boxes yield jack and others will give you 4 or 5. Not huge amounts, but it's still exciting when you do find them.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
there are some silver halves that will fool you if you only do the "edge looking" method.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ringding said:
there are some silver halves that will fool you if you only do the "edge looking" method.

This is certainly true, so don't use that as a rule of thumb when searching halves. 1965-1970 are 40% silver clad, and some of them will fool you.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Pretty much. If you see one with no red on the edges, I would investigate.

There were a couple of halves I found that I would have missed had I just looked at the edges though. The edges were just dark enough that they resembled a clad coin, but when I looked at the front, I found they were 40%. I found two like that, where I looked at the edges of the roll first, and did not think there were any silver ones in there, and then when I began to check the dates I was pleasantly surprised.
:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread