CRHing Dimes can be tough too

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
After getting skunked with all new 2001-D halves again.. I decided to try dimes again.. another so-called dime road trip.

Bank 1 - $500 box - Skunked

Bank 2 - $500 box - Skunked

Bank 3 - $500 box - 1963-D

Bank 4 - $500 box - 1948-S & 1961-D (2)

I don't know how you guys can do it but after some driving and lifting the things.. I am flat out worn out. I am writing this after awakening from my nap. I can see that as I get older, I probably won't be able to take the lifting anymore and cannot CRH. I asked for halves at all places and they didn't have any. One place had one half dollar but I decided no, not worth the trouble. Odds are a clad anyhow. Yep.. filled my average of 1 keeper per box on Roosies. Sometimes, I think that it's just not worth it but the hunger for silver runs deep and I think to myself one day I won't be able to CRH anymore so I better do it now.

Upvote 0

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Won't CRH in theory end before you get old? As time goes on, there will always be less and less silver for the picking, unless a huge stash is somehow sent to the bank. Besides, there may come a time when all 50 states pass similar legislation to what got passed in Utah turning Gold and Silver coins into legal tender for metal value.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
mleblanc138 said:
Won't CRH in theory end before you get old? As time goes on, there will always be less and less silver for the picking, unless a huge stash is somehow sent to the bank. Besides, there may come a time when all 50 states pass similar legislation to what got passed in Utah turning Gold and Silver coins into legal tender for metal value.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant for not being able to do it for much longer.. not the getting old part.

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
You did better on dimes than me last week I did 4 $500 boxes and $400 in cwrs and found 0 silver 4 trash boxes in a row pretty discouraging

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
santafeboy said:
You did better on dimes than me last week I did 4 $500 boxes and $400 in cwrs and found 0 silver 4 trash boxes in a row pretty discouraging

You're suprising me with that.. I did a box from the Monterrey area a few weeks ago and got 6 keepers out of it. That tied the record for most keepers from a dime box.. never got anything close to that since. Don't worry, I don't go down there often. I just did it on a day where I had an interview I had to do. I just thought I'd give it a try.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
mleblanc138 said:
You are probably too young to remember what happened in 1980. All the silver finds dried up then also. The silver supply then replenished itself, over time.

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
fistfulladirt said:
You are probably too young to remember what happened in 1980. All the silver finds dried up then also. The silver supply then replenished itself, over time.
I certainly remember. The replenish is due to collectors dying off and their collections getting cashed in. Sometimes theft plays a role, it happened to me. That one incident broke my spirit for coin collecting for more than a decade.

In 1991, I lost 2 complete year/date/mint collections of mint state Morgan Dollars, and over a hundred loose Morgan Dollars. These had been purchased in multiple bags from the US Mint back during the big vault clearance silver dollar sell-off. I had bought 500 of those Morgan Dollars, all in mint state. Some old-timers might remember that silver sell-off.

A former friend and his family had been evicted from their apartment. Me being a nice guy, I let them stay at my business overnight. I had been cleaning out the office safe in preparation for moving it to my house, and I had forgotten that I left it unlocked. The next day when I arrived, the family was gone, and so was my collections of Morgan Dollars. The only clue left behind was a 1988 coin book laying on a table with the binder broken open to the Morgan Dollar page. That book had been in the safe with my collections.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
kb4iqm said:
fistfulladirt said:
I certainly remember. The replenish is due to collectors dying off and their collections getting cashed in. Sometimes theft plays a role, it happened to me. That one incident broke my spirit for coin collecting for more than a decade.

In 1991, I lost 2 complete year/date/mint collections of mint state Morgan Dollars, and over a hundred loose Morgan Dollars. These had been purchased in multiple bags from the US Mint back during the big vault clearance silver dollar sell-off. I had bought 500 of those Morgan Dollars, all in mint state. Some old-timers might remember that silver sell-off.

A former friend and his family had been evicted from their apartment. Me being a nice guy, I let them stay at my business overnight. I had been cleaning out the office safe in preparation for moving it to my house, and I had forgotten that I left it unlocked. The next day when I arrived, the family was gone, and so was my collections of Morgan Dollars. The only clue left behind was a 1988 coin book laying on a table with the binder broken open to the Morgan Dollar page. That book had been in the safe with my collections.

wow.. that's tough... hopefully you informed the authorities and this guy got locked up but judging from our current legal system.. he probably got questioned but that's about it.. Hopefully, you did report it.

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
mleblanc138 said:

Rofl, I wasn't even born in 1980. I keep wishing I found out about CRH earlier, but at 21 it looks like I'm pretty young compared to the rest of this forum. I do however know full well that Silver shot up like crazy, peaking at $50 an ounce in 1980 due to the Hunt brothers trying(unsuccessfully) to corner the global Silver market. I also ran an inflation calculator and found out that $50 in 1980 Dollars is equal to $126 in 2009(latest year the calculator would let me put in) Dollars. So Silver would have to TRIPLE it's current price to achieve 1980 levels.

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
SFBayArea said:
kb4iqm said:
fistfulladirt said:

wow.. that's tough... hopefully you informed the authorities and this guy got locked up but judging from our current legal system.. he probably got questioned but that's about it.. Hopefully, you did report it.
No, I didn't report it to the sheriffs office. I had no insurance, or even proof of the collections. It had been decades since the purchase and all paperwork had been lost a long time prior. I was also trying to track him down myself. I called around to alert all of the pawn and coin shops, no luck. When I finally did hear about him from someone else that knew him, I was told that he had bought some land and a travel trailer and was living there with his family. I know it may sound silly to some, but I was comforted a bit by the knowledge that he used the money to improve his situation rather than waste it on booze or drugs. I cannot totally forgive him for what happened, but I don't wish any harm to come to him. We were long-time friends prior, it cost us that friendship.

Bob

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
kb4iqm said:
SFBayArea said:
kb4iqm said:
fistfulladirt said:

No, I didn't report it to the sheriffs office. I had no insurance, or even proof of the collections. It had been decades since the purchase and all paperwork had been lost a long time prior. I was also trying to track him down myself. I called around to alert all of the pawn and coin shops, no luck. When I finally did hear about him from someone else that knew him, I was told that he had bought some land and a travel trailer and was living there with his family. I know it may sound silly to some, but I was comforted a bit by the knowledge that he used the money to improve his situation rather than waste it on booze or drugs. I cannot totally forgive him for what happened, but I don't wish any harm to come to him. We were long-time friends prior, it cost us that friendship.

Bob

Doesn't matter if you had proof of what you owned. The police has to take a report. If you told them what you have, they will write in down in the report. People report items taken all the time without proof of actually owning them.

Hope you've been able to recover or at least replenish some of what you lost since.

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
SFBayArea said:
Doesn't matter if you had proof of what you owned. The police has to take a report. If you told them what you have, they will write in down in the report. People report items taken all the time without proof of actually owning them.

Hope you've been able to recover or at least replenish some of what you lost since.
I haven't been able to find even a fraction of what was lost. It took me over a decade to even start collecting a few Morgan dollars again, I guess my heart is still not fully in it like it is with other denominations. The difficulty of locating uncirculated Morgan dollars in all of those dates and mints would be enormous. I have found lesser grades of a handful, but I look at these and it just gets me depressed when I see these and mentally compare to what I once had. There were key dates/mints there that are just not going to be found within my budget. I had all of the key dates/mints, try finding an 1895 these days that could be considered affordable :'(

I really enjoy my other denomination collections better. Wifey understood my pain. She even took a job working as a cashier for a few years prior to falling ill. As she found any odd coins, buffalo nickels, and silver dimes or quarters in her till, she would buy them at face and bring these finds home for me to enjoy. She slowly worked me back into collecting again, with dimes and quarters, then pennies, then halves. Since she passed, coin roll hunting has given this old man a new hobby to take his mind off of the anguish of living on without her. And I can sometimes bring joy to others. Just yesterday, I gave one of my halves, a 1966, to a friend. He had asked me last week to watch for one for him, and as luck would have it, I was able to find him one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread