$20 roll of ms60 Bicentennial Half Dollars

joshatron

Greenie
Apr 11, 2011
Hey guys,

New guy here, I just came upon a $20 roll of bicentennial half dollars (D) from a local bank ( had bicentennial written on the side). I was surprised at what good condition they are in. I looked up the grading scale of coins and I believe these fall under ms60 ( only minor scratches from being in the coin roll). I know they aren't silver, but should I save these? I know a lot of these are in circulation, but these ones are in perfect condition, just hoping I can maybe get more than my $20 back for them in the future!

Thanks!

Josh

Upvote 0

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem with bicentennial coins, especially the dollars and the half dollars is that -everyone- and their uncle saved them out of circulation and there is little collector demand. Sure, in mint state they are -worth- more than face value, but its just convincing someone to pay a premium for them. I might keep them for a few years, after all its only $20, but don't expect them to be worth $500.

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Id be more interested in how you fit 40 coins into a half dollar roll haha. Rolls are $10 with 20 coins, a 40 coin roll at $20 would be unusually long and funny to carry. You certainly wouldnt, or maybe you would, want to be seen with one in your pocket lol.

Anyway you can always put them on ebay with a $25 reserve and try your luck. I sold a roll of toned uncirculated bicentennials last year for $23. Made about $9 profit after all fees and the buyer was thrilled.

OP
OP
J

joshatron

Greenie
Apr 11, 2011
haha, yeah I was surprised when I saw the $20 roll my self, I'm new to this and thought they only came in $10 increments. The wrapper is pretty old, maybe from 1976 when the coins came out. Anyways, I found my one 40% silver for the day out of only $50 worth of halves, so I'm happy.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
awesome find on the silver...id keep the roll of bic if i got it, i still have yet to get a $20 roll of halves, but i hope i do someday! keep it up and hh!

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
JD-GA said:
Id be more interested in how you fit 40 coins into a half dollar roll haha. Rolls are $10 with 20 coins, a 40 coin roll at $20 would be unusually long and funny to carry. You certainly wouldnt, or maybe you would, want to be seen with one in your pocket lol.

Anyway you can always put them on ebay with a $25 reserve and try your luck. I sold a roll of toned uncirculated bicentennials last year for $23. Made about $9 profit after all fees and the buyer was thrilled.

Don't be suprised at $20 rolls.. I got a $20 face roll today. It was a skunk and I just exchanged it at another bank down the street. When I used to use paper wrappers banks provided to wrap the dumps, the wrappers were always $20 rolls.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread