Silver dimes must be an urban legend! ANOTHER NEW UPDATE!!!!! 4/21

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I am beginning to believe that silver dimes are an urban legend or an internet myth.

Are we sure that the government once minted and distributed real silver dimes as coinage, and didn't sell them only to coin shops? They seem to be the only folks that own silver dimes.

:laughing7:

I haven't found a single dime since I've been CRHing.

I bought $220 worth of dimes today, as I do once or twice a month. I also buy $20 worth every three days or so, and then flip those for quarters at another bank.

I don't understand why I still haven't found a silver dime or quarter. They are so elusive!!!!!

FWIW, I don't think that I have silver hounds at my buy banks, because I've gotten some silver there.

What do I have to do to find a single dime CRHing???

Anyone else have this kind of luck??

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Re: Silver dimes must be an urban legend!

I should add that nearly all the dimes that I buy are clear wrapped rolls from Brinks.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have done around 12 boxes if dimes. Today was my 2nd time of being skunk on dime boxes. I have had a total of 3 boxes thnat did not have silver in them. but my half boxes have been terrible. As I have only gotten 1 40%er out of 20 boxes.

So if you get $220 a couple times a month just put another $30 with it and just get a whole box. Do it and dump it and turn back around and get another box the next week. Do this weekly for a month or two and see what happens. Good luck and let us know if you start finding any.

The rolls that I get is 80% clear rolls also......Matt

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

clovis97 said:
I should add that nearly all the dimes that I buy are clear wrapped rolls from Brinks.

How many in terms of total dollar figures have you looked at?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Maybe it's those Brinks boxes. When I receive a Brinks box of dimes in my order, I don't bother to take it home. I first ask to possibly swap with a String/son box if available.
When I suspended my dime search in late March to devote my time to dirtfishing, I had searched $6050 in handrolled dimes. I found 56 rosies, 4 mercs, and 6 silver canadians.
In general, my handrolled finds average the same as the box finds.
I think that the key to finding lots of dimes is to search volumes. It's cheaper to order 5-10 boxes at a crack, and dump in one or two trips.
My average so far this year is 1 silver dime per $100 searched.

ffd

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

SFBayArea said:
clovis97 said:

Let's see...I'm going to have to do some math:

I'd say that I am in the bank at least 3 times a week, so there is $60 worth per week, or $240 a month. (The tellers just pull out 4 rolls for me without asking.)

Twice a month, I buy at least $200 worth, but usually, the total is $220. That makes another $400 to $440 per month.

I'll also get rolls of dimes at other banks, while I am dumping rolled halves, just swapping them out for dimes. I average an easy $50 to $100 worth every month doing that. Lets say it is $50, for simplicity.

If I've added correctly, that is $730 worth of dimes per month. (Yikes!!! I've been dumping more dimes than what I thought!!)

I've been working dimes for 7 months, so that equals $5110 as a grand total searched.

And still no silver!!!!!!

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

fistfulladirt said:
Maybe it's those Brinks boxes. When I receive a Brinks box of dimes in my order, I don't bother to take it home. I first ask to possibly swap with a String/son box if available.
When I suspended my dime search in late March to devote my time to dirtfishing, I had searched $6050 in handrolled dimes. I found 56 rosies, 4 mercs, and 6 silver canadians.
In general, my handrolled finds average the same as the box finds.
I think that the key to finding lots of dimes is to search volumes. It's cheaper to order 5-10 boxes at a crack, and dump in one or two trips.
My average so far this year is 1 silver dime per $100 searched.

ffd

This is frustrating. Maybe it is the Brinks boxes that I've been getting here in Indiana.

With your average of one silver per $100, I should have found 51 dimes so far.

I search the clear wrapped dimes using a magnifying glass, and I am thorough with my search.

Today's only find was a gold plated dime from 1980. Most likely a high school chemistry project.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Lately I have noticed diminishing returns in my handrolled dime pickups, when I first started hitting them 3 years ago, they were worth less than a buck a piece.......I know that more tellers are now going through the handrolls as they come in. For this reason, I've dropped a few of my pick-up banks. ffd

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

clovis97 said:
SFBayArea said:
clovis97 said:

Let's see...I'm going to have to do some math:

I'd say that I am in the bank at least 3 times a week, so there is $60 worth per week, or $240 a month. (The tellers just pull out 4 rolls for me without asking.)

Twice a month, I buy at least $200 worth, but usually, the total is $220. That makes another $400 to $440 per month.

I'll also get rolls of dimes at other banks, while I am dumping rolled halves, just swapping them out for dimes. I average an easy $50 to $100 worth every month doing that. Lets say it is $50, for simplicity.

If I've added correctly, that is $730 worth of dimes per month. (Yikes!!! I've been dumping more dimes than what I thought!!)

I've been working dimes for 7 months, so that equals $5110 as a grand total searched.

And still no silver!!!!!!

That does sound bad.. I average one per $500.. I would say. So, you should've gotten 10 if you were in my area. I only do clear wraps as paper wraps take forever. Perhaps, it's time to change it up and order from somewhere else. Maybe someone there really is culling them.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

It is beginning to make me wonder, but if they are being searched, they are awful quiet about it.

I have found silver at this bank, FWIW. I do suspect one teller of being a silver hound though. Last week, she told me that they didn't have any halves left in the vault from the box they ordered for all customers, but when I went back the very next day, she mysteriously had $100 worth of wrapped halves in her drawer. After I bought them, I found that they had been opened and searched. I've rerolled enough Brinks wrappers to know if they've been searched. There have been a few other hints that she's a silver searcher...I am almost certain of it.

I have gotten loose silver from the other tellers, and one even sold me a Peace dollar for face value!

byrne3

Mar 4, 2011

I think your problem is the clear wrappers. String wrappers are solid producers for me. Today I got some in brown wrappers and they are also producing after only going through 10 rolls. I have another $700 to go through tonight. I would avoid the clear wrappers. I've only gotten 2 boxes of clear wrappers, 1 dime, and 1 quarter and both skunks..

2Cents

Nov 4, 2009
California

clovis97 said:

Get a full box and make sure is sealed. Silver is easy to spot in clear wrapped rolls.

I did two boxes of clear wrapped rolls last weak and got 1960, 2x1962, 1964. Second box was a skunk. It's still out there.

It took me 8 boxes to find my first silver dime this year.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

heck I found a 1964 rosie in the reject bin of the coinstar "coin counting" machine at the grocery last week .

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

Are your boxes sealed when you get them? Meaning the tape hasn't been removed or cut. When I do dimes, I always ask for sealed boxes.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!

Fond 6 today. SO they are not legend. Just a dry streak. Keep going, and you'll hit a good streak. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

jrf30 said:
Fond 6 today. SO they are not legend. Just a dry streak. Keep going, and you'll hit a good streak. :icon_thumleft:

Sometime in this century? :laughing7:

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

jrf30 said:

How many boxes, or how much did you go through to find those 6 dimes?

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

2Cents said:
clovis97 said:

Get a full box and make sure is sealed. Silver is easy to spot in clear wrapped rolls.

I did two boxes of clear wrapped rolls last weak and got 1960, 2x1962, 1964. Second box was a skunk. It's still out there.

Okay, it looks like I need to change my game plan.

I've never done a full, sealed box. I've been trying to fly under the radar since starting this hobby, asking for $20 worth of dimes three times a week. This branch's vault teller can be moody and heavy handed, so boxes have been out of the question so far.

Looks like I need to start doing sealed boxes of clear, or get tough, be a man, and start working paper wrapped dimes. Dumping has been a real issue for me, and those dimes...they are hard to read and there are so many of them!!!!

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

I forgot to add:

THANK YOU for your advice and helpfulness so far. I appreciate it!!!!

WormtownFJR

Jan 27, 2009

clovis97 said:
2Cents said:
clovis97 said:

Okay, it looks like I need to change my game plan.

I've never done a full, sealed box. I've been trying to fly under the radar since starting this hobby, asking for $20 worth of dimes three times a week. This branch's vault teller can be moody and heavy handed, so boxes have been out of the question so far.

Looks like I need to start doing sealed boxes of clear, or get tough, be a man, and start working paper wrapped dimes. Dumping has been a real issue for me, and those dimes...they are hard to read and there are so many of them!!!!

READ? Some will disagree with me on this for sure, but edge searching is the only way to check dimes due to the volume you have to go through. Volume is key with dimes.

I have seen my returns on dime go down lately as well.

Funny dime story. I was buying my weekly halves and saw that the teller had a silver dime in her tray. I had zero cash on me after I purchased the halves. I frantically went through all my pockets and was unable to find change. Considering the amount of cash I was flipping that week I thought it ironic that I couldn't purchase a single dime!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread