1943 Walking Liberty Ender while CRH -- What Should I Do?

jarhoops

Mar 17, 2011
Hi All,

Today I found my first 90% silver coin while hunting halves! To add to the excitement it's a 1943 Walking Liberty and it's on the end of a roll. So far I've only opened 10 rolls and found 1 1969 40% coin. I've read some threads about trying to sell the entire roll since there may be more silver in it. What would you do? Would you try to sell the roll or open it up and see what else may be in there?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    410.3 KB · Views: 636
Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Seriously, enough already. You roll hunt to roll hunt. If you want to maximize your profits, there are easier/faster ways to make money than roll hunting.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver_Down said:
Seriously, enough already. You roll hunt to roll hunt. If you want to maximize your profits, there are easier/faster ways to make money than roll hunting.

Couldnt agree more.

OP
OP
J

jarhoops

Mar 17, 2011
Thanks for the feedback. I'm quite new to coin roll hunting so I appreciate the help. I'm definitely not looking to hunt for sheer profit, I just don't want to make a rookie mistake. If I opened up the roll and there weren't any more silver coins and then everyone on the forum said "why would you do that? you could have sold that roll for $100!" then I would have felt pretty stupid. I'll save this roll for last and enjoy opening it up. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

OP
OP
J

jarhoops

Mar 17, 2011
Well I opened the roll and there weren't any more keepers. I'm still very excited to get my first 90% silver, and it's a beautiful Walking Liberty! I also got my 10th 40% silver. So far I've only been skunked once out of my first five boxes so I'm happy. (And yes, I do live on the East coast.)

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jarhoops said:
Well I opened the roll and there weren't any more keepers. I'm still very excited to get my first 90% silver, and it's a beautiful Walking Liberty! I also got my 10th 40% silver. So far I've only been skunked once out of my first five boxes so I'm happy. (And yes, I do live on the East coast.)
Oh Man, You already opened it, I was gonna say you should just take it back and ask for newer ones..

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
Well if you sold it for $100 and found out there were 18 more, prettier and rarer Walkers inside, you would of felt bad too. You did the right thing and you took a picture of it, for the memory. Sweet find.

OP
OP
J

jarhoops

Mar 17, 2011
Thanks! Although it was far from a "dream box" that find made my day... (And I had 2 ASE's arrive today that I ordered for $33 each!)

Jfliz3

Mar 24, 2011
jarhoops-- btw, since you said you were new to CRH (welcome, by the way!), just figured i'd give you a heads up. I get what you were referring to by trying to turn it around for a profit since it is "unsearched." However, if you got this idea from ebay's plethora of posts claiming "unsearched" rolls, then think again. The people who claim to have unsearched rolls on ebay have 99 times out of 100 gone through the roll and re-wrapped them with promising ender coins so the buyer thinks they are getting a better deal. The best example you'll see on ebay is "unsearched" rolls of wheaties with an ender that is just showing the reverse vdb. In the description, the seller will say "maybe this ender is a 1909 s, but you can be sure its a scam because the seller would be stupid to sell the entire roll at 20 bux profit instead of merely opening up the roll and seeing if that was the 1909svdb, cuz that is like a $1000 coin. So its just not financially plausible for people to do that.
For the sake of CRH'ing dont ever make that mistake and always search your coins. Like one replier said, that roll you had could have very easily had several more 90%'ers in there and you would have been bummed to sell the roll without searching. Also, I hope I speak for more CRH'ers than just myself, but if you woulda sold it straight up, you woulda ripped someone off, and generally people dislike that. Just my $0.02, HH!
-Jacob

OP
OP
J

jarhoops

Mar 17, 2011
Thanks so much for the advice. Although the rest of the roll didn't have any more keepers I'm still glad I kept it. My first Walking Liberty! :icon_thumright:

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Initially i would laugh at the idea of selling but after seeing what ive seen on Ebay i would [since i am a gambling man] actually try to sell if it was convenient.

Still wouldnt put silver in a coin machine tho.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
i have before gotten an ender, and found out there there was multiple silvers in he roll...so, i would never try to sell it, knowing there could be 18 more in the roll.....just my opinion tho...keep it up and hh! nice score by the way!

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why didn't you just weigh the roll?
even though it's not that precise, it would give you a general idea of how many silvers are in there.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
yonico said:
even though it's not that precise, it would give you a general idea of how many silvers are in there.

I agree, if you want to sell unsearched rolls with enders on eBay, you can weigh the rolls and you can make sure you aren't missing 19 other silvers in there. Silver weighs much more than clad.

T-Candy

Mar 6, 2011
Generic_Lad said:
yonico said:

I agree, if you want to sell unsearched rolls with enders on eBay, you can weigh the rolls and you can make sure you aren't missing 19 other silvers in there. Silver weighs much more than clad.

^

That thought of folks thinking that this would be acceptable perplexes me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread