odd half, possible defective planchet

soldierman

May 18, 2006
I found this in my latest box. That averaged 1 silver per 2 rolls. I know its not punched by a hammer or tool. There is no raised area on the reverse. But I would suspect that if there was this much missing metal in the planchet there would be a spot of weak strike on the reverse. If it were ground out with a dremel I would think it would be deep enough to show copper. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 91 with 19missing.jpg
    91 with 19missing.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 398
  • 91 with 19missingr.jpg
    91 with 19missingr.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 385
Upvote 0

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one similar to that a few weeks ago. I think that some foreign object was on top of the planchet when it was stamped.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soldierman - actually it was a different year (1973), and mine is at the 3 oclock area on the rim and between the 5 and 6 oclock position on the rim. There are two of them. Once I get off my butt I am going to learn to use my digital camera and take pictures of all the errors I have found half hunting (about 10).

OP
OP
S

soldierman

May 18, 2006
I sometimes get OK pics. The 1992 silver turned out OK I think... for my ability and camera. I tried 10-12 shots of this and couldn't get a good pic.

If you look at the rim on the right lower of the coin you can see a little step. Looks like maybe some tried to force out of the collar. In between the collar and the die. I suppose if there was something extra in the press there would be a few more tons of force on that coin.

j2fun4u

Sep 13, 2005
Not to be a Killjoy, but it looks like a hot torch was put up to it and melted the lil bit there. But I could be wrong.
~J~

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
The half is what's called a grease filled die, and/or foriegn object stuck between die and blank planchet.

This is not man-made and is definately a mint error.

Not a ton of money in the error market (maybe 10-20 bucks) but a nice find nonetheless.

HH all!

Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread