What do you do with damaged coins?

Phantomfe3

Jan 31, 2011
well im sure like many other people i have run into alot of damaged coins while going through rolls. bent, dented, severely scratched, partially decomposed or otherwise, especially with dimes. lately ive been setting them aside by themselves as i dont know what a bent or dented coin does in the coin counter when i return.

so the question is what are your experiences with, or what do you do with your severely damaged coins?

Upvote 0

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dump bank takes them. I just hand them over with the change slip from the machine, So they just get deposited with the rest of my dumps.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Just spend them.. yeah I'm put some bent coins in my change box in the car. When I need to spend it.. it use them. That's the best way.. no need to worry about them getting stuck in a coin counter.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I too was concerned with what they may do to the coin counting machines; and most of us can't afford for a machine or two to be down very long. 8)

So, I just spend them for regular transactions. So long as you can tell what denomination the coin is, it shouldn't be a problem.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also spent them when I out and about......Matt

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
my banks coin counter is really good about taking REALLY mutilated coins, i think it counts be size instead of weight...hope this helps! keep it up and hh!

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
put them in a vise when bent, file them when pieces protrude, spend them , use them in parking meters, roll them when halves .

I try not to put them in machines as im worried they will jam it and some machines dont return all the coins.

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008
I turn them in separately at the bank when making a dump run. They have a process to get rid of those, that way they are out of circulation for good. Spending them just perpetuates the problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread