Weeks Results - Not Good!

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got done searching 4 boxes of halves and 3 boxes of dimes for this week. The halves only gave up a 1972 clad proof and the dimes a 1958-d. I can understand the halves are always up and down, but dimes are killing me lately. I was typically pulling 2-4 dimes per box, and now I have found one out of my last five boxes. With the price of silver what it is now, I'm beginning to think these kind of results are going to be typical from here on out.

Seems every time I go into a bank to make my dumps the bank employees are saying "Do you look for silver?" or "Do you know those might be silver?". I want to say "Yeah, that's why I'm giving them back to you" but I still play dumb so as not to tip off anybody who might be listening. I love this hobby and will probably never quit, but it sure gets hard to justify doing it when you don't find enough to even cover the cost of gas for pickups, dumping, etc. With that said, I think I will take a gamble and go on a little road trip Monday...gotta find some luck somewhere!

Happy Easter and Happy Hunting!

Upvote 0

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I have seen the same result with dimes as well. I was pulling 1-3 average per box and I rarely got a skunk. In past 3 weeks, it has been common to go 3-4 boxes with no keepers. Still a much better return than the halves in this area, but disappointing all the same when you are used to nearly every box having at least one keeper.

Good luck.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Road trips are where it's at! If you drive a Prius. I get 15 gals to the mile w/my good 'ol American V8 ford pickup.....I don't do many roadtrips.

db23

Mar 18, 2011
I can't do dimes on a regular basis, it's just too painful. I see people constantly posting their finds, but after searching 5 boxes and finding 1 silver dime i've decided to concentrate 95% on halves.

I get asked that silver question too, in fact just did this morning. The branch manager asked me if I was searching for the silver halves. I said yes, but I 'only' find a few in each box and sometimes none at all. She doesn't seem very interested in keeping them herself, and even calls me when they get some in.

I've actually been to 2 TD banks in the past 2 days where both people helping me with the coin machine called the silver rejects 'garbage' and said they throw them out! I guess some people just aren't smart enough to care.

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
fistfulladirt said:
Road trips are where it's at! If you drive a Prius. I get 15 gals to the mile w/my good 'ol American V8 ford pickup.....I don't do many roadtrips.
I've got a buddy with a big V8 4X4 Bronco and he feels your pain as well. He points at his Bronco every time I complain about putting 300 - 400 miles a week on my Prius. He spends as much on fuel in a month as I spend in a year, yet I drive about 20 times the miles that he does :o

Bob

OP
OP
coincrawlin

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:

The couple small road trips I have done have not been that productive. I guess you just have to hit it just right to get those big scores I see others posting about. I wouldn't even think about road tripping now with my V8 Ford at 13 MPG. My small four banger has turned into the daily driver vehicle; makes a huge difference when you can double your MPG.

Oh, and speaking of the "smart" tellers, while asking for halves a few weeks ago I had a teller ask me if I searched for gold. That completely threw me off and I fumbled for a response for about five seconds, but I had a good laugh when I got back to the car!

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
coincrawlin said:
The couple small road trips I have done have not been that productive. I guess you just have to hit it just right to get those big scores I see others posting about. I wouldn't even think about road tripping now with my V8 Ford at 13 MPG. My small four banger has turned into the daily driver vehicle; makes a huge difference when you can double your MPG.

Oh, and speaking of the "smart" tellers, while asking for halves a few weeks ago I had a teller ask me if I searched for gold. That completely threw me off and I fumbled for a response for about five seconds, but I had a good laugh when I got back to the car!
I've never had a teller ask if I search for gold, but plenty ask me about silver. I give the same old canned response when asked.

I say sure, I collect old coins, and many older coins can be silver, but they are few and far between to find these days. Then I tell them that I'm mainly looking for certain dates, mint marks, and higher quality coins to fill holes in my collections or to upgrade coins that I already have for ones in better condition. If asked if I sell coins, I always tell them no, I collect them for my collection only.

I save the chrome or gold plated novelty coins for tellers, telling them that those are nice to look at but have no real collectible value.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread