Nickels that are worth saving?

OP
OP
db23

db23

Mar 18, 2011
rfishoutofwater said:
i save anything older than 1950. of course the war nickels are silver
I guess my question is what makes those Pre-1950s worth saving?

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
db23 said:
rfishoutofwater said:
i save anything older than 1950. of course the war nickels are silver
I guess my question is what makes those Pre-1950s worth saving?

Nothing, i just think some folks like hanging on to the old coins. The melt of copper and nickel do technically make a nickel worth 6.8 cents, so there are a few like me that have $15 rolled up for the heck of it.

dpy52081

Feb 16, 2011
Long Island, NY
I am saving all my nickels from boxes I get, it might take a few years to get a return on my investment, but think of those who had the foresight to start hoarding silver in 1964...................

Definitely save a Buffalo nickel if you come across one. As for Jeffersons some key dates are 1955, and 1939d. The 1939d is the rarest circulation Jefferson nickel made and depending on condition can range from about 6 bucks to over a hundred (depending on condition)

If you are new to coins, I would highly recommend investing in a redbook. This is not the end all be all of values, but will give you a rough idea of what dates are worth saving. If you want to find what a value of a coin is, see what a particular coin is selling for on ebay. That will give you a real time indicator of what the market for a particular coin is.

Hope this helps and HH

ancesthntr

Apr 15, 2011
Look carefully at any 1939 (Philadelphia) nickels that you get. On a very few of them the words "Monticello" on the reverse is doubled (there's a bit of doubling on a few letters below it also) - and this can be worth many hundreds if it is in good enough condition. 1950-D is also fairly rare.

I echo the thought that you should get a Redbook - but don't buy new, sometimes you can get a bargain on one a couple of years old at a used bookstore. Other than coins with value based on metal content (i.e. Ag and Au), the only thing you might not be up to date on is recent error finds (of which there are none in nickels since the 2005 speared bison).

Another source of pricing data is the PCGS site: http://www.pcgs.com/prices/default.aspx Please note that they report only verified sales data from PCGS-certified coins, and if you're getting worn coins from CRHing then the value is generally not high enough to warrant paying for the certification (and without it the value of a coin to a potential buyer is less). Note that this wouldn't apply to rare coins like the 1939 doubled Monticello - if in EF-40 condition, it'll be worth $170, or a speared bison, $175 in MS-63.

Hope this helps.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
dpy52081, you mentioned the 1955 (P). Few people would consider that collectable, but I figured it would be a winner in yrs to come being that only 6 other issues have a lower mintage than the 1955 (P) at 7.88 million. Yrs ago I reacted accordingly.

dpy52081

Feb 16, 2011
Long Island, NY
Yeah, I know the 1955p wont pay off student loans, but still rare enough to hold on to.

Side note...... frustrating find = 1925d buffalo nickel in such god awful shape where it is brown and even has some copper oxidizing. Nice nick to find, but in such crap condition..... BOOOOOOO haha

ancesthntr

Apr 15, 2011
Does anyone save any of the 1968-1970 S-Mint nickels? I have done so, out of habit - because I was told long, long ago (early '70s) that the S coins are less common and, therefore, more valuable. However, looking at the mintages, they are not at all rare. So, should I break my habit and just dump them all?

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ancesthntr said:
Does anyone save any of the 1968-1970 S-Mint nickels? I have done so, out of habit - because I was told long, long ago (early '70s) that the S coins are less common and, therefore, more valuable. However, looking at the mintages, they are not at all rare. So, should I break my habit and just dump them all?

I used to save them all, now I just save the 1968-S and 1969-S as the 1970-S mintage is double the other two. Not sure if the investment will ever pay off from a collectible standpoint, but even if it doesn't in many ways it's like mattress money. In a pinch I have access to some additional cash. I usually end up with about $1 worth of the post-1959 nickels that I save per $100.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I keep all pre 1960 nickels, but when I get too many nickels dated 1955-1959, I throw back the lesser looking coins.

I will not throw back any coin 1954 and older, even if it is beat up, black, scratched, or anything along those lines.

War nickels are 35% silver, there are buffalo nickels out there as well. I also did get a 1904 "V" nickel.

I think your odds of finding buffalo nickels are slightly less in CWR's since the person actually looks at the coin before putting it into the coin roll, though you could score full rolls of buffalo nickels from an old timers collection as well.

I have mixed feelings on CWR's, though I never did any before.

Hope this helps

-BuffaloBoy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread