dumping halves - to roll or not to roll?

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Depends on the bank you're taking them to. Most of the banks and Credit Unions in my area have counting machines so no rolling. Check with the bank you want to take them to to find out how they want them.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I dump most of mine in coin counters at banks. I also try to dump as much as I can by spending at retail, which really lessens what I have to dump at the bank.

The less I have to dump at a bank means the fewer bags that need to be changed by the tellers. That is a good thing!

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Thought you were a former teller so you would know what tellers prefer? ;D

da1984

Apr 3, 2009
Don't roll. A waste of your time and it means the another person will get an automatic skunk.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
SFBayArea said:
Thought you were a former teller so you would know what tellers prefer? ;D

When I was working in a branch we had people bringing in large quantities of coin, either rolled or loose, and our branch didn't have a counter. Rolled was obviously preferable to loose, but I have no idea how much of a hassle it is for them to mess with bags. Plus if I was accepting a few rolls, I was much more likely to take their word that they're all full, as my risk was small. However, if someone was depositing hundreds of dollars in rolls, I'd be much more hesitant to accept them without verification, which would either mean having the customer open them and count them in front of me, or counting them later myself.

da1984 said:
Don't roll. A waste of your time and it means the another person will get an automatic skunk.

This is pretty much what I have been thinking about. My mantra is to do no harm, including to other CRH'ers.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
da1984 said:
I agree, as a matter of fact I'm so considerate that I leave a couple silvers in there for the next guy, heh-heh.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just ask the the teller at the business counter for some plastic coin vault bags and then i bring them in with my name and account # already on them and put $500 halves in the vault bags. I exchange them for cash and they validate them at the vault, if they are off u get dinged or credit whatever you're off, but i've never been off so far.

incomenet

May 16, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
V3i
Bigheed said:
i just ask the the teller at the business counter for some plastic coin vault bags and then i bring them in with my name and account # already on them and put $500 halves in the vault bags. I exchange them for cash and they validate them at the vault, if they are off u get dinged or credit whatever you're off, but i've never been off so far.

This is the way my bank is, only I have to put $1000 in a bag. ;D At one branch the tellers direct me to the vault and have me carry them in. ;D I just wish I could find another bank with this arrangement, there are none with coin counters around here. :(

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin machine is the way to go, my local coin machine was down to the penny the last few times i've been counting. Plus this saves the tellers the hassle. The only hassle the tellers have is to pull out the machine and change the coin bag which could give them a little break from their day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread