Anyone have ideas for me? Dumping at a bank without a coin counter...

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I happened to be at a bank branch in another town CRHing and dumping the other day, and the teller was near giddy about buying my half dollars.

"We need to call Ginger right away. She is going to be thrilled to hear that we have some half dollars" he said to another teller. I asked him what he was talking about, and he told me about a "customer that buys every half dollar that comes in the door. She is going to think this is awesome. I guarantee these will be gone by tomorrow afternoon."

Well, I got to thinking about it, and I'd like for Ginger to have as many halves as I can get her. Heck, I've got a whole box worth sitting on my kitchen table right now. I'm a kind hearted soul, and there is no reason that I should be hogging up $500 worth of half dollars, all dated 1971 to present, all for myself.

Here is the rub:

This bank does not have a coin counter anywhere in the bank. They do NOT accept any form of rolled coin, even though I once conned another branch into buying two Brinks wrapped rolls of dimes.

So, my wife and I had to stand and count out $150 worth of halves and the young teller had to double check our work. It seemed to take forever.

If I rolled these coins, this bank will insist on unrolling them, and counting them again.

If I could count these out into $10 stacks before I went to the bank, it sure would save a bunch of time.

Does anyone have ideas for what I could put these coins in to carry to the bank? I'm thinking that if I had the right container or tray, I could carry them into the bank, pull them out of the container by the stack, and set them on the counter.

Ideas anyone????

I know this sounds crazy, having to recount all those halves, but dumping here is really difficult.

Besides, it is awfully greedy of me to keep these wonderful and rare coins from Ginger.

Upvote 0

frankiefry

May 16, 2010
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV, Ace 250, Tesoro Silver uMax
It will cost you a little cash, but you could buy yourself a box of those snack sized zip baggies and put $10 in each. Zip them closed so they don't mix up and then have them all in whatever box or bag you usually use. Just a thought. : ) I think after 'Ginger' gets a look at a few of your deliveries, she will be changing her tune about that bank and their halfs though, so dump while you can. Good Luck!

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
That is hilarious I just dumped $560 today of 1971 and up halves that Ginger would have loved

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't spend much money for "equipment" to carry your halves in pre-measured stacks to this bank, as I seriously doubt that this arrangement will last very long. "Ginger" is obviously a CRHer. Unless someone else is routinely dumping silver halves at this bank, "Ginger" will quickly grow tired of buying your dumps and start refusing them, and/or quit visiting this bank altogether. When that happens, the bank will probably start refusing to take your dumps as well. I would venture to guess that you might get to dump there under this arrangement maybe 2 or 3 more times at most before you get cut off. IMO, if you keep the dump amount small-ish ($100-$150), you might keep the "arrangement" going a little longer. If I were Ginger that would work. I would knowingly buy $150-$200 worth of someone's dumps regularly just to get all of the halves that come through that bank - especially if that bank had produced for me in the past. If that amount grew to $500+, I'd probably reconsider.

With that said, I like the small plastic bag idea. They're cheap and reusable.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
ArkieBassMan said:
I wouldn't spend much money for "equipment" to carry your halves in pre-measured stacks to this bank, as I seriously doubt that this arrangement will last very long. "Ginger" is obviously a CRHer. Unless someone else is routinely dumping silver halves at this bank, "Ginger" will quickly grow tired of buying your dumps and start refusing them, and/or quit visiting this bank altogether. When that happens, the bank will probably start refusing to take your dumps as well. I would venture to guess that you might get to dump there under this arrangement maybe 2 or 3 more times at most before you get cut off. IMO, if you keep the dump amount small-ish ($100-$150), you might keep the "arrangement" going a little longer. If I were Ginger that would work. I would knowingly buy $150-$200 worth of someone's dumps regularly just to get all of the halves that come through that bank - especially if that bank had produced for me in the past. If that amount grew to $500+, I'd probably reconsider.

With that said, I like the small plastic bag idea. They're cheap and reusable.

I totally agree. This won't last long. I figure I can dump $1,000 at most, if I'm lucky. I'll dump $400 to $500 if I can pull that off.

I'm not in that town very often, so it won't be a weekly thing.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clovis97 said:
I'm not in that town very often, so it won't be a weekly thing.

That changes everything. While dumping $500 a week there would probably end things in a hurry, $500 once a month or every 6 weeks or so might not. Again, putting myself in "Ginger's" place, if this bank was a proven producer for me, I'd buy your monthly $500 dump everytime to retain my buying privileges.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
FWIW, a cup cake pan is a perfect way to sort coin into certain amounts...a normal cup cake pan will hold $10 in halves per hole almost perfectly. A pan is also a great way to transport sorted halves.

As expected, the tellers recounted every half dollar again, even though I stacked them perfectly on the counter. While it wasn't fast, it really didn't take very long for the tellers to recount the coins.

It isn't an ideal way to dump halves, but it takes the pressure off of my normal dump banks. It seems like I fill up bags every time I dump them, and I know one teller is getting sick of me at my regular dump spot.

I wonder how much fun Ginger is having tonight with all those halves?

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 168

WormtownFJR

Jan 27, 2009
I see this all ending poorly when you walk in the bank when Ginger is standing at the counter and the teller says there's the guy...

If that happened to me I probably wouldn't be able to keep a straight face.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
65gt350 said:
How about something like this. It should decrease your count time.

HH,
65GT350

http://www.buy.com/prod/counter-cha.../q/sellerid/14387982/loc/66357/205794091.html

Good idea.

I liked the teller. You can tell he is a good kid, and means well. The downer is that when someone taught him to check all the coins that people bring in, this guy took it literally, and then to the 'nth' degree.

I've dumped loose before, and the tellers have always allowed me to stack up $5 worth of halves, and then count out the total amount. Since all stacks are equal, most tellers can see the total amount you are dealing with. 10 stacks of $5 each is $50, plain and simple.

Not this guy. Not only did he check and recheck each $10 stack by counting each coin, he visually inspected each coin.

Ya never know when someone is going to slip in a Chuck E. Cheese token, I guess. LOL.

Nonetheless, I think my teller guy would still recount every half...you never know when one of those teller trays were made wrong!

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
WormtownFJR said:
I see this all ending poorly when you walk in the bank when Ginger is standing at the counter and the teller says there's the guy...

If that happened to me I probably wouldn't be able to keep a straight face.
[/quote

If that ever happens, I'm not sure what I'll do.

I might not have time to laugh because Ginger might be throwing skunk rolls at me.

If she is pleasant, I might compliment her on a huge half dollar collection.

:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread