Type of Bank for CWR and Loose?

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Which type of banks do you guys have the best luck at for finding silver in customer redeemed?

I've found that rural independent banks work best. For halves, it seems that the small branch banks in rural towns tend to send their halves to another bigger bank of their branch, which quickly sends them to the depository. The independent banks tend to keep their halves on hand. I’ve found the bigger independent save their halves, 2 of them have so far had their best finds.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at a rural bank, less people will bring in halves, but less people ask for them. I'd say rural is the way to go, just my opinion.

BenVA

Sep 16, 2003
SW VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's MXT, Tesoro Compadre and Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would agree that the smaller independent banks would be your best bet for CWR finds.

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
mdockter said:
Which type of banks do you guys have the best luck at for finding silver in customer redeemed?

I've found that rural independent banks work best. For halves, it seems that the small branch banks in rural towns tend to send their halves to another bigger bank of their branch, which quickly sends them to the depository. The independent banks tend to keep their halves on hand. I’ve found the bigger independent save their halves, 2 of them have so far had their best finds.
My best CWR and loose coin finds are from the small rural banks that are near to the areas that lots of retirees have moved to. I hate to say this, but as retirees die off, their coin collections tend to get cashed in by the surviving spouses or families. Like many areas of the southeastern US, the region I live in is prime retirement territory.

I've tried banks in and near the larger cities with no luck. All the banks in those areas have the same stories about getting large numbers of requests for halves daily, and them not ordering halves for customers.

Bob

OP
OP
Dok Holliday

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you define as a big city? I'm having good luck at the rural independent banks just outside of a 200K metro area. Am I calling what I'm having now "luck" only to find the big stuff even further out?

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
mdockter said:
What do you define as a big city? I'm having good luck at the rural independent banks just outside of a 200K metro area. Am I calling what I'm having now "luck" only to find the big stuff even further out?
I tried around Atlanta GA one day, and Chattanooga TN on another. I had a hard time even finding any halves at all, loose or in rolls. Tellers kept telling me that they get people coming in daily asking for halves. I would ask if they had any rolls or boxes in the vault, they all said they don't order halves. RingGold GA was a successful hunt area though. Too bad it was destroyed by a tornado, as I was looking forward to going there again.

Bob

OP
OP
Dok Holliday

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got a lot of "Farmer" banks in small towns all over here. I haven't even bothered to check a bank in the city. I order my halves from my credit union and dump at a Wells Fargo (Wells Fargo, being a for-profit bank has always made me angry, so I get a bit of fufillment by making them deal with $1000 in half dollars. In my first week I nailed 1 silver from a $500 Box, and 21 from going in and asking banks and getting $500 from customer deposits.

I didn't think the ratio would be that far apart.

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
Small town banks are great. I get my best finds from CWR's and loose change from small town banks and businesses. I like to stop at small town grocery stores and ask for dimes, quarters, and halves. I also get change from car wash change machines in rural areas. I never really thought to ask at gas stations since I so rarely have to stop for fuel. Most of my nearly daily trips are less than 100 miles round trip. So unless it's been very cloudy weather, I don't burn any fuel on those short trips. I burn fuel when I'm going to do a road trip to hunt for coins further away of course.

Boxes of coins are usually very watered down in comparison. I think most of us search boxes hoping for that big score that happens once in a while. I like the nearly steady yields of non-box sources. I have a few rolls of mercs and roosies found in CWR's and loose change, while only 1 lone roosie dime was ever found by me in a dime box. Granted, I only go through 1 to 2 dime boxes a week. That's about all I can stand of dimes right now. My eyesight is not that great for seeing those tiny edges or dates, even with my reading glasses on :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread