Newbie observations

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
I am a newbie CRHer and wanted to share my observations thus far to see if anyone has noticed the same. Over the last week, I have stopped at probably 20 banks in my area hunting for halves, some in a major metro area and some in the suburbs. My experiences thus far:

• Of the banks I've stopped at, I have only found about half had any halves at all. I purchased about $20 loose, from which I found 1 64 and 1 40%.
  • Only four had any rolled halves. Out of a total of $1,350 ($1,330 CWRs, $20 Brinks), I found no silver at all. All of the CWRs came from major banks (BofA and Chase branches), and the two Brinks rolls from a mid-sized regional bank branch.
  • Several of the tellers I talked to said that "no one" ever asks for halves, leading me to believe there is relatively little competition around here.
  • Multiple Chase branches said they do not order boxes of coin for customers, while the BofA branches would. I have one box on order coming in later this week, the other branch said I needed to call back and talk to the head teller who was out that day.

Is this par for the course for halves? Are chances better with sealed boxes rather than CWRs?

Thanks for all of you who post regularly here. I feel like I have learned a lot from reading these posts (I've read back to about Sept 2010 thus far).

HH

BillyOceansEleven

Upvote 0

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, I will bite. I have all of my personal belongings loaded in the moving van. If you could just tell me where you are, I will move right in and give you some competition.
Seriously, you may have stumbled across a gold mine. There are no guarantees that full boxes will treat you any better than CWRs. When you get your box, have fun, go through it and pile up the silver(eternal optimism). If you get lucky, dump the box at a different bank and order another one.
As far as CWRs go, just expand your search a little and spread some love around to the tellers. When tellers start recognizing you as a nice person, they will start finding you more coins. It's contagious with them. HH, Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread