Bit by the bug big time

rocko

Apr 13, 2006
Houston
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett at
Man this is freaking awesome! I first started out getting a few rolls from the bank then I moved to a box a week now I am up to 2 boxes a week. In my first box I was blown away when I found a beautiful mint condition 83s proof. Since then I have found at least 100 or so 40% and 99%'s, but today was the day of all days I went to my bank and picked up my 2 boxes this is the first week I started on 2. I was sitting in the parking lot because of course I can't wait to sneak a peek, I went through three rolls with nothing I grabbed the fourth roll and as I started to pour the coins into my hand I noticed something very odd GOLD! I had in my hand a 1972D gold coin I have no idea if it was from a special addition or someone had electroplated it! either way it's still gold. I have been doing this for about 3 months and so far I have had some really great luck. If anyone knows why the coin would be gold I sure would appreciate some info.

Rocko

Upvote 0

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Hi Rocko,

Good to know you are having luck with the boxes of halves, it's a blast isn't it! ;) Sometimes I open a few of the rolls in the car before I get home. The gold colored half is electroplated, here is a photo of one that I found.

Congratulations on your finds and keep at it! :)

Attachments

• Electroplated2.jpg
    Electroplated2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 200

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
I found a gold half also...When I saw the gold edge I thought I had found a gold coin...which I did...kind of...Nice finds. Hard to tell from the pic but it's gold and VERY shiny! HH

Attachments

• 013106 Silver and Gold Front.jpg
    013106 Silver and Gold Front.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 231
  • 013106 Silver and Gold Front.jpg
    013106 Silver and Gold Front.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 220

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Well lookee thar, its another 1960/1980 plated half. Has anyone out there discovered the origin of those coins. This ones a 1972 and the one I have is a 1983. I have seen photos of others from different years. I wonder how many were made and who did them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread