Newbie CRH with coin show etiquette question?

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
Definately take your Red book.Also shop around with all dealers before selling to get the best price.Keep in mind with silvers recent plummet from $50 to $35 an ounce your probably not in a good time to sell. Personally I would hold on to them unless your trading up to 90% ers

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
This is only my opinion. I would consider carrying a Redbook to be quite tacky, and possibly offensive. I've never done it before, I just know ahead of time what I want, or just carry a cheat sheet.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I've never been to a coin show, but I've been to more than 100 toy train shows. Everyone brings their Greenberg price guide, which is the standard for the Lionel hobby. How else are you supposed to check price, the rarity of an item, and know what you already own?

Never in my life have I heard any dealer get upset about anyone checking their Greenberg price guide. In fact, most dealers will hand you their copy for reference.

If you run into a dealer that is offended, move on. You probably don't want to do business with them anyway.

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Good question. As for me, I always bring a Reb Book or latest coin magazine for reference. I've never had a dealer frown on me for using it either. In fact they recommend you check the prices.
Be advised that "grade and condition" are very important in pricing.
Have a good time at the show.
rileyboy
(R.I.P., Rich)

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
No problem with carrying the red book. I would only use it for mintage facts and not pricing. If this is your first coin show and depending on what type of show it is i.e. (local 20 tables, regional 60 tables, etc..) I would just walk around the tables for the first 10 minutes or so just to get a feel of atmosphere and during that walk you will probably find a few tables that you would want to go back to and spend more time looking though the display or binders. I do recommend that if it is busy do not ask the dealer to pull multiple binders of different coins just to look at.

As far as a fair trade for the 40%. If you can get 9.5 to 9.75x face I would think that would be fair.

Most of all just relax and enjoy all that history and knowledge floating around the room.

HH,
65GT350

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I normally take my red book to coins shows and coin shops, never had a dealer complain. I've even borrowed a dealer's book if I don't bring mine. Nobody can be expected to memorize the value, mintage, etc of every coin. A good dealer won't mind you using the book at all. If they complain, I have to ask what is their motive?

HSH and RIP Rich

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Someone payed me redbook pricing I'd be thrilled. See no reason for anyone to be offended. I'd check the book for mintage numbers and offer below.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread