I need a feeding system for coin comparitor?

OP
OP
H

Hortstu

May 10, 2011
I know you penny guys have got something going on. No suggestions? I just can't justify getting a ryedale with low volume I'll be doing but I can't commit an hour to 25$ of pennies either. Does anyone have any links pics, anything?

afreakofnature

Nov 16, 2010
It depends on how DIY you want to be on this. But this is what I did. At first I bought a DIY build for a Penny Miser. After having trouble with the trap door after going though 3 boxes of penneys I decided to buy a coin comparitor. I then made a wood stand for the coin comparitor that looks very similiar to the Ryedale Sniper (google pics on this since it is not for sale) and made a stand for the penny miser that was taller. I just used the reject hole from the Penny miser and put a matchbox car plastic piece track to the coin comparitor (again similar to the Sniper) with a plastic back so the pennies go into the slot and not over it. Use the funnel option on the Penny Miser and you can just dump one to two rolls at a time in easily (use an ac adapter, make the hopper go faster too). However if you are DIY handy you could just build a Penny Miser with out the kit. I just bought this first, then went compaitor later so I already had it. I am proud of my setup and it cost under 100 total, which has already paid for itself in copper. My GF thinks it is so cool to watch the pennys go from the hopper, around on the wheel, down the chute and through the comparitor since it is all open. Kind of like watching one of those marble rollercoaster things, just keeps us amazed while doing the work.
Once the copper is out, by hand I sperate out the wheaties.

OP
OP
H

Hortstu

May 10, 2011
kb4iqm said:
Get an IGT upright nickel hopper off of feebay and swap out the shelf wheel for a dime wheel, works great for pennies. Shopping smart it can be done for under $50. There's info in this thread.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,393980.0.html
Bob

Thanks Bob. Will the seller of the nickel hopper also offer dime wheels?? Is there a search term that will help me find a dime wheel? Do you have any pics of your set up?

afreakofnature said:
It depends on how DIY you want to be on this. But this is what I did. At first I bought a DIY build for a Penny Miser. After having trouble with the trap door after going though 3 boxes of penneys I decided to buy a coin comparitor. I then made a wood stand for the coin comparitor that looks very similiar to the Ryedale Sniper (google pics on this since it is not for sale) and made a stand for the penny miser that was taller. I just used the reject hole from the Penny miser and put a matchbox car plastic piece track to the coin comparitor (again similar to the Sniper) with a plastic back so the pennies go into the slot and not over it. Use the funnel option on the Penny Miser and you can just dump one to two rolls at a time in easily (use an ac adapter, make the hopper go faster too). However if you are DIY handy you could just build a Penny Miser with out the kit. I just bought this first, then went compaitor later so I already had it. I am proud of my setup and it cost under 100 total, which has already paid for itself in copper. My GF thinks it is so cool to watch the pennys go from the hopper, around on the wheel, down the chute and through the comparitor since it is all open. Kind of like watching one of those marble rollercoaster things, just keeps us amazed while doing the work.

I already have the comparitor so I'm just looking for a DIY feed system. So you suggest I googel pics on the ryedale sniper and base my design on that?

Thanks for the tips guys!

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
Hortstu said:
kb4iqm said:
Get an IGT upright nickel hopper off of feebay and swap out the shelf wheel for a dime wheel, works great for pennies. Shopping smart it can be done for under $50. There's info in this thread.
Bob
Thanks Bob. Will the seller of the nickel hopper also offer dime wheels?? Is there a search term that will help me find a dime wheel? Do you have any pics of your set up?
The link to a seller of dime wheels is in the thread I posted the link to. I haven't taken pics yet but plan to soon. I'm still trying to match up the coin knife guide hole spacing with an off-the-shelf bracket from Home Depot or Lowes. Just haven't come across either home improvement store in my travels yet.

Bob

afreakofnature

Nov 16, 2010
Hortstu said:
kb4iqm said:
Bob

afreakofnature said:

I already have the comparitor so I'm just looking for a DIY feed system. So you suggest I googel pics on the ryedale sniper and base my design on that?

Thanks for the tips guys!

I am just saying that is what i did and what worked for me. But I also am not running 1000's of dollars of pennies every week. I might do a box or two everyweek with my setup. I am in no hurry to get out the copper, there is just a lot of it still there. Silver is what I am focusing on right now and you can set up the comparitor for that too.

OP
OP
H

Hortstu

May 10, 2011
afreakofnature said:
I am just saying that is what i did and what worked for me. But I also am not running 1000's of dollars of pennies every week. I might do a box or two everyweek with my setup. I am in no hurry to get out the copper, there is just a lot of it still there. Silver is what I am focusing on right now and you can set up the comparitor for that too.

Afreak,

Do you think you could post some pictures of your setup? I've contacted a company about a hopper but they never replied to my inquiry.

I don't plan on making a career out of this I just don't want to be feeding every single coin in by hand. I don't care if it's half as fast as a ryedale. I just want to accumulate a few boxes for myself/ kid.

OP
OP
H

Hortstu

May 10, 2011
OK so they got back to me about aristocrat upright nickel hoppers. They come in dollar, half, quarter, and nickel denominations.

The mark IV is 50$
The mark V is 40$
The mark VI is 40$

I don't know what the difference is between these different models but I asked the seller.

The don't have dime shelf wheels. They said there are no dime slot machines in existence. So my concern would be finding a compatible dime/ penny shelf wheel that will fit these models. Can anyone advise on this?

Thanks.

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
Hortstu said:
OK so they got back to me about aristocrat upright nickel hoppers. They come in dollar, half, quarter, and nickel denominations.

The mark IV is 50$
The mark V is 40$
The mark VI is 40$

I don't know what the difference is between these different models but I asked the seller.

The don't have dime shelf wheels. They said there are no dime slot machines in existence. So my concern would be finding a compatible dime/ penny shelf wheel that will fit these models. Can anyone advise on this?

Thanks.
It does no good to buy an off-brand hopper that does not work with commonly available industry standard parts. Stick with IGT, as they are common and the parts are readilly available online. They have been in use pretty much unchanged since before penny, nickel, and dime slots were being phased out.

Bob

OP
OP
H

Hortstu

May 10, 2011
Ok they've got an igt s+ upright hopper for nickels, quarters, halves, and dollars. They're all $50. If they're all the same price is the nickel one the best?

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
The link to a seller of dime wheels is in the thread I posted the link to. I haven't taken pics yet but plan to soon. I'm still trying to match up the coin knife guide hole spacing with an off-the-shelf bracket from Home Depot or Lowes. Just haven't come across either home improvement store in my travels yet.

Bob

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...coin-sorters-more-pics-added-6-26-11-a-4.html

USE THE INFO IN THE ABOVE LINK, IT IS EXCELLENT!!

Bob, forum member kb4iqm I believe, provided a LOT of info about building a sorter. It inspired me to build three. He referances a mending plate he found at Lowe's (I think) that matched up with the holes for the coin knife.

You can search for the coin wheel using the term "shelf wheel" and "hopper wheel" and then narrow the choices down by denomination. "Hopper wheel" will also show you the pinwheel which has the little nubs individual coins fit between as they make their way to the ejection point of the hopper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread