cleaning junk silver

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Feel free to clean junk silver however you wish. Unless it is a rare coin with low mintages (if it is don't clean it), nobody will care when you sell if it was dipped or cleaned. It may be a waste of time though to clean them if you are doing it to try to get more $$$$ when you sell them.

I would avoid harsh cleaners that scrape up the finish though, or polishes that leave the coin somewhat fake looking.

Jim

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't clean coins. Somebody buying junk silver won't care, and somebody looking for the coin will consider it ruined if it's cleaned. If the bottom drops out of silver, the value as a silver coin might become greater than its value as junk silver. Even if you consider this unlikely, there is nothing to be gained from cleaning it.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
You can use Acetone, take skin/eye precautions. I've used "Connissuers's jewelry cleaner, wow! I've cleaned about 2% of my finds, so shoot me.

bnicholas26

Apr 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bare Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rule is to never clean coins ever. However, the business we are into is silver first, numismat second (to me). I only clean 40% silver halves with baking soda, excluding the 1970 as they have a low mintage and a good numismatic value. 40%ers seem to need more cleaning than 90%ers anyways, i think it's due to the different metals reacting with everything it comes in contact with. I never clean 90%ers. Also when I get a rare coin like an indian penny or a merc dime I'll just run it lightly under a hot tap and dry lightly with a clean cloth to get oils off it, then into a cardboard/mylar holder it goes. so, all my coins get cleaned but never to a harshness that would affect value....just a preventive cleaning.

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I never clean mine as I am just selling it to the coin shop and they buy junk silver as is. I looked through a big tub of their junk silver bin and it was obvious that they were not concerned with the condition as many were in terrible shape. I think you would just be wasting time cleaning if your intentions are to sell as junk silver. If you have any key dates, most definitely do not clean them - It will lose all collector value if you shine it up.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
silverfinder20 said:
does anyone clean their junk silver with baking soda? Does this affect the value of the coin? I would think that the coin only sells for the silver so it shouldn't matter right?

Are you talking about the baking soda paste way or the baking soda/aluminum foil way? I would do neither but I think the soda/aluminum is probably better since the toning could be added back by carrying it around for a few months.
Everyone goes through the bright shiny coin phase but pretty soon it wears off. If you want clean coins clean them but I do recommend that before you clean any 1964-D Kennedy halves look for the doubled die versions. They are worth more than melt if they are not cleaned.

HH,
65GT350

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
captainfwiffo said:
Don't clean coins. Somebody buying junk silver won't care, and somebody looking for the coin will consider it ruined if it's cleaned. If the bottom drops out of silver, the value as a silver coin might become greater than its value as junk silver. Even if you consider this unlikely, there is nothing to be gained from cleaning it.

Ive noticed when a coin is real dirty the buyer often takes time to stop counting and check the date which in the case of dimes can be a minor hassle especially if quite a few are black .

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Acetone works real well on Silver without removing the patina or accumulated wear and tear. If you are cleaning copper, the best way is with Olive oil. I cleaned a 1939 British Colonies Large cent with Olive oil over a couple of weeks. It came out looking
perfect. I have an old 18?? Large Liberty Head Penny that is going to get the treatment this week. It takes over two weeks to completely clean the coin, but it truly does work.

I am planning on posting before and after pics when I am done. It is a $20.00 dollar coin (Price Paid) so I experimented on a coin that is virtually worthless first.... :laughing7:. The results were astonishing to say the least, enough to let me go ahead and
try with complete confidence in what it will do.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
FreedomUIC said:
Acetone works real well on Silver without removing the patina or accumulated wear and tear. If you are cleaning copper, the best way is with Olive oil. I cleaned a 1939 British Colonies Large cent with Olive oil over a couple of weeks. It came out looking
perfect. I have an old 18?? Large Liberty Head Penny that is going to get the treatment this week. It takes over two weeks to completely clean the coin, but it truly does work.

I am planning on posting before and after pics when I am done. It is a $20.00 dollar coin (Price Paid) so I experimented on a coin that is virtually worthless first.... :laughing7:. The results were astonishing to say the least, enough to let me go ahead and

Just a soak in olive oil and nothing more?!? Really? I'd like to see some before and after pics if you could...that sounds interesting.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Be careful with olive oil, as it is organic, and will decay over time. Maybe a dip in acetone, after cleaning with olive oil?

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
koala33 said:
Baking soda won't hurt anything at all - makes it look nice and shiny :)

If you use the baking soda paste it will leave hairline scratches. I would use the baking soda and Aluminum foil if you are going to clean or acetone but the acetone will only clean organic material and will not make the coins shiny.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
65gt350 said:
koala33 said:
Baking soda won't hurt anything at all - makes it look nice and shiny :)

If you use the baking soda paste it will leave hairline scratches. I would use the baking soda and Aluminum foil if you are going to clean or acetone but the acetone will only clean organic material and will not make the coins shiny.

That is correct, it comes in handy when cleaning out the reeding around the coin. Sterling Silver cleaner at walmart that you dip your coin into works wonders as well. I bought a Peace dollar that somebody had used tape on to hold them on a piece of paper. Took it right off and coin came out shiny only the worn parts are now real noticeable. It was purchased for bullion reasons only so wasn't concerned with the unnatural look at all.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mdockter said:
FreedomUIC said:

Just a soak in olive oil and nothing more?!? Really? I'd like to see some before and after pics if you could...that sounds interesting.

I have the before pic's already taken. It started soaking last night, in two weeks and three flips I will take two more and post them
here in a new thread.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
Be careful with olive oil, as it is organic, and will decay over time. Maybe a dip in acetone, after cleaning with olive oil?

Never thought about that, I will give it a go once it is done with its soak. I am on the second flip and can already see a huge difference in the obverse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread