Recounting and rolling

perfectsim

Jul 11, 2006
Hey guys,

I'm new to roll hunting (and THing in general). I went through $50 of pennies last week and found 18 wheats, a cool medal and a bunch of Canadians. I used a little tube that you fill up to a certain mark to 50 pennies to recount and re-roll all of the coins. However, I only ended up with about $48.50 in rolls and about 20 more loose. There are three possibilities:
1. The rolls were filled short to begin with
OR
2. I overfilled the rolls by about a penny each
OR
Both.

Seeing as how two probably played a factor, I've come to wonder how everybody else re-rolls all of the coins you sort? Do you count them by hand, use an electric counter, or use an apparatus like mine which estimates 50 coins based on the thickness?

Thanks and good luck.

Upvote 0

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I count mine by hand. I put them in stacks of ten then fill the tubes. I usually do mine during commercials watching TV so the time is not a big deal.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
That is exactly what I do. I still makie mistakes though.

My last box of halves I had a total of 41 silver halves (2 rolls + one extra). But when I had finished wrapping the rest, I had exactly 38 rolls. I suddenly realized I must have a roll somewhere with only 19 halves in it.
So I had to waste an hour going through them and recounting. Fortunately I only had to go about halfway through the box to find the roll that was a half dollar short.

Showtime

Jul 4, 2006
Northern Virginia
I usually do them one roll at a time and count by hand. So i go through a roll, check it and count it by piles of 5 or 10 depending on what I'm counting and roll them again before starting the next one. If I pull a coin out I put one right back in from my extra coins jar to keep them even.

schlooppy

Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City, Mo.
I would just take your change back to the bank loose and let them run it through their counting machine. They like it this way so they know they are not getting short changed.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
This may sound obvious but since no one mentioned it, here goes; did you take into account the pennies you pulled out of the rolls and kept? That would certainly reduce the number of pennies left at the end.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I take mine back to the bank that has a coin counter. I set up an account there for just that purpose.

OP
OP
P

perfectsim

Jul 11, 2006
af1733 said:
This may sound obvious but since no one mentioned it, here goes; did you take into account the pennies you pulled out of the rolls and kept? That would certainly reduce the number of pennies left at the end.

Yes, but I only took out around 25 coins. I should then have $49.50 in rolls and then 25 loose. Instead I was 100 pennies short of that mark, or 1 penny per roll over. Interesting enough, I found two dimes so I almost came out even.

Taking them right to the bank where they have a counting machine is a good idea. I'll have to find a bank near me that has a counting machine. Unfortunately my close proximity to Canada means a lot of Canadian pennies find their way into the mix, and most banks in the area won't give you American for them.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I started using those red plastic coin counters until I found out they were off by a couple of coins. I then filled them and recounted putting a mark where the correct amount of coins should have been. I don't know how many I gave away before I found this out. If I were you, I would do a recount.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread