Road trip help?

CanadianCRH

May 16, 2011
OK, so I'm relatively new to CRH and am from Canada, since Ive been hearing how much easier it is to find halves than it is to find dimes and quarters I have decided to drive down to Buffalo with 3-4 thousand and spend a day or two going threw as much as possible :D.

Considering that I have never gone threw halves, have no experience with them, and need to be as efficient as possible to make this remotely worth it I would reeeaaaallly appreciate it if I could get some :help: (help) lol.

If anyone has tricks to go check the coins fast, best places to get lots of halves fast or any other info I'm not thinking of I would love to hear it.

Thanks fellow hunters and HH,
Noah

Upvote 0

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
The fastest way is rim searching tho u will eventually miss a few. Most things are learned the hard way and no advice is 100% accurate. No matter what someone says there is usually an exception - like finding silver in someones dump or finding silver at a bank with a half counter. Each one of us road trippers do things differently and different areas have different ways rules etc like some banks selling bags from machines and some dont. One thing we probably all agree on is to bring cash.

OP
OP
C

CanadianCRH

May 16, 2011
If I rim search will I be able to pick out the 1965-1970 40%ers? Aren't they clad?

Should I call the banks in the area I'm going to a few days ahead of time to order coins, or if I go to 10-15 banks will they have enough in stock? And in general whats better, bags or rolls of coins?

Lastly what bank branches usually have coin counter?

Thanks a ton,
Noah

db23

Mar 18, 2011
CanadianCRH said:
If I rim search will I be able to pick out the 1965-1970 40%ers? Aren't they clad?

Should I call the banks in the area I'm going to a few days ahead of time to order coins, or if I go to 10-15 banks will they have enough in stock? And in general whats better, bags or rolls of coins?

Lastly what bank branches usually have coin counter?

Thanks a ton,
Noah
Most 40% and 90% silvers can be found rim searching. As quiksilver said, there are some that can be missed too. I've seen some that have an almost copper look to the rim. I only rim search and if I question a coin I always pull it out to check the date.

Most banks will have very few if any at all. You could go to all 15 banks and find 0. You could go to all 15 banks and find a thousand.

My suggestion is to use google maps to find the banks in the area that you plan on going to and mapping out as many as you can. You should also ask for CWR dimes to help up your odds of scoring some silver.

If you're serious about 1-2 DAYS of CRHing, you should easily be able to hit at least 50+ banks. My most is 43 in only about 4-5 Hours.

Hortstu

May 10, 2011
I weigh. Then rim search. I can always tell which rolls have 90% if I weigh first. You won't miss too many by rim searching.

Definitely call ahead or you might not get any.

Good luck

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 40%ers look a lot different than nickel clad, even from just the rim. The silver ones are usually paler and sorta greenish by comparison.

Agro

Dec 13, 2010
Cali
you are direct competition to the person(s) who could give you the most accurate information about what you're looking for. best bet would be to do some online prep. search 'bank' on google maps to find out which banks have branches in town, then go the banks' websites to see if the branches are open on saturday. on saturday some close earlier (noon-2pm) than they do on weekdays so plan your route accordingly. you could also call and find out if the branches have a counter.

bsktbllsam

Apr 16, 2011
ive attempted crh in buffalo 1 month ago when i was visiting friends an suny buff. went to about 15 banks and 5 credit unions and found $30 in skunnks :( good luck though for all you know someone could have just turned in their husbands hoard...

OP
OP
C

CanadianCRH

May 16, 2011
That's true Argo, but if anyone else is crhing in buffalo, we could actually help each other out :), if they were to tell me where they dump I wouldn't pick up from there, and would only dump there, ensuring neither one of us get each others dumps :)

Consisting that I'll only be there for a day I doubt I'll effect the amount of silver they are able to find. Thanks for the tips! :) hh

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
CanadianCRH said:
Does anyone know what banks are open Saturdays in buffalo?

might wanna try mapping out an area , google buffalo banks ny and printing an area u wanna search. You can also highlight some banks there and see the satuday hours. You can then get a feel for which banks are generally open or closed on a saturday. Most banks in my area of westchester NY are open on saturdays tho recently In ST petes FL most were closed and it wasnt even worth searching there on a saturday.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quiksilver said:
CanadianCRH said:
Does anyone know what banks are open Saturdays in buffalo?

might wanna try mapping out an area , google buffalo banks ny and printing an area u wanna search. You can also highlight some banks there and see the satuday hours. You can then get a feel for which banks are generally open or closed on a saturday. Most banks in my area of westchester NY are open on saturdays tho recently In ST petes FL most were closed and it wasnt even worth searching there on a saturday.
Also, when you get a list of banks get their phone number too. When you get ready to hit them, call them to ask if they have any halves. If they do not, then you can cross that one off and save the time and gas going to that bank. You can make more productive use of your time that way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread