Got 2 Brinks boxes with all original wrappers opened on one end

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Got 2 Brinks boxes with all original wrappers opened on one end

I just got home and opened the SEALED Brinks boxes only to find all the rolls have been opened on one end. I knew it would probably be a waste of time searching them so I called the bank and asked if they had a couple more boxes in their vault. I also explained the situation and they told me to bring them back and they would give me the other 2. Anyone else see this?? It is the first time I have seen it. :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Re: Got 2 Brinks boxes with all original wrappers opened on one end

Garbage In... Garbage Out. Brinks got lazy as did the tellers at the dump bank. Tellers are supposed to bag coin loose that goes back to Brinks. Teller just filled the bag with the rolled dumps. Brinks, instead of unrolling the rolls and processing them, they just re-boxed the rolls. Obviously, there have been multiple failures in the process. Biggest problem is that the coin was never verified and reconciled against the original depositor's account. If the rolls were short, they were "counted" as full and have been passed down the line where you might have short rolls which will be your loss.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

I have seen this topic come up several times over the past few years. People always assume that someone's dumps got reboxed.

I have to say that I have had Brinks boxes that had rolls that looked different than normal, where one end is almost "loose" compared to the other. Many times these boxes contained silver. My presumption is that there was some issue with the machine that rolled them at the time.

I have unfortunately bought dumps where the rolls were searched with one end carefully tucked back under. Because of this I stopped buying any Brinks rolls except those boxed and taped with the same type of tape they use at the factory. If any bank had an open Brinks box and offered it I said no.

Maybe in your area its different, but I have never had a sealed box from Brinks that I believe had recycled dumps kept in the returned wrappers. Of course had lots of skunk boxes with coins that had 10 different CRHers' graffiti, but the rolls appeared to be original.

Jim

rfishoutofwater

Feb 11, 2011
PNW
Detector(s) used
garret 350

thats how I return them to chase. They dont accept loose rolls so I reroll them in the brinks rolls and back in the brinks box it goes. I know my chase sends them out in the boxes as they dont have to bag them. not sure where your at but I am in PNW.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

Jim - I've gotten sealed Brinks boxes with brown customer wrapped rolls. Of course, they are dumps. No crimping, No re-use of machine wrappers, etc. Some Brinks facilities seem to be worse than others.

In my programming days when we had to load customer's data into new database table, there would always be missing data or data corruption. We wouldn't bother to correct the customer's data. Garbage in ... Garbage out.

Like I mentioned before, the real problem is that the coins were never verified and processed. I know some unscrupulous individuals that dump this way. They short the rolls by a coin here and there. Over a couple of boxes, it adds up. They consider it their "fee" for having to roll their dumps. Bad mojo on them.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have also seen this in the last couple of weeks. 3out of 4 boxes that I have goten from Brinks looks like they have been open and put back in the box. And yes they all have been skunks on the silver. I pick up 2 more boxes on Monday. I am going to start doing dimes after Monday to give the halfs a rest and maybe some silver willstart coming back in.......Matt

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

I've had sealed Brinks boxes in the past that appear that the rolls have been opened.

Out of all the skunk boxes I've had...three of the four boxes like that produced silver.

My one and only Ben Franklin came in a box identical to that.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011

clovis97 said:
I've had sealed Brinks boxes in the past that appear that the rolls have been opened.

Out of all the skunk boxes I've had...three of the four boxes like that produced silver.

This. I posted my own finds just now before reading this, but I got a sealed Brinks box tonight that looked like all the ends had been rerolled. Maybe they had, as I found no 90%. I did find a crazy amount of 40% though.

Syrys

Oct 2, 2010

I've had a box with several rolls that had poorly crimped ends, and there was silver in it. I think sometimes the machine messes up and doesn't crimp the rolls well.

I've also gotten a "sealed" Loomis box full of brown customer wrapped rolls. Instead of being glued though, it was taped, so I'm pretty sure it was somebody's dump and the bank was just too lazy to send it in. They just taped it up and gave it to me. Regardless, my relationships with my banks are too important for me to argue over such trivial matters, as long as it doesn't happen too often (it's only happened once so far).

HH!

how u do n

Dec 21, 2008
in my own little world :)
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Minlab E-Trac Garrett Pinpointer

My brinks boxes too have had customer rolls in them mixed with sealed rolls
Coins with Brinks is like a box of chocolates, you never know what will be in them.
GL HH
Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread