How Many Have switched from Halves To Dimes?

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I gave up halves in February after I hit 52 straight skunks and went dimes only. It seems in past month or two I have seen many posts from people doing the same thing. Are any of you still getting the occasional half boxes? One bank I went to told me they had 2 boxes so I gave it a shot after nearly 3 months and got 1 Ben and 3 40s which fired me up a little. I was tempted to try them again, but after dimes and usually seeing one silver rim in every box, I really don't think I can go through all the skunks like before. I live in a area where there are a huge amount of CRHs and don't see that going away anytime soon. I know all these other people are getting halves, so in sticking with the dimes, I have been having great results.

Also, the dumping process for dimes is so much easier and faster - and I do not get as many unfriendly looks when the tellers open the bag and see dimes rather than the big old halves.

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have added dimes to mine weekly CRHing. I have order 8 boxes for next week......Matt

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I tried dimes a while back and will never do it again. First, the coin counter ripped me off and counted many as pennies.

Second, when I got CWRs there were many Canadian dimes that no machines will take. I don't dump CWRs so those were a loss. I did find a couple keepers in my short dime CRHing time, but the return did not compare to hunting halves.

Jim

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
I have not switched from Halves to Dimes but I have added clear wrapped dimes to the the hunt. Even if I get skunked on the halves I can normally get a silver dime.

HH,
65GT350

Hortstu

May 10, 2011
MentalUnrest said:
I gave up halves in February after I hit 52 straight skunks and went dimes only. It seems in past month or two I have seen many posts from people doing the same thing. Are any of you still getting the occasional half boxes? One bank I went to told me they had 2 boxes so I gave it a shot after nearly 3 months and got 1 Ben and 3 40s which fired me up a little. I was tempted to try them again, but after dimes and usually seeing one silver rim in every box, I really don't think I can go through all the skunks like before. I live in a area where there are a huge amount of CRHs and don't see that going away anytime soon. I know all these other people are getting halves, so in sticking with the dimes, I have been having great results.

Also, the dumping process for dimes is so much easier and faster - and I do not get as many unfriendly looks when the tellers open the bag and see dimes rather than the big old halves.

Wow 52 skunks in a row I hope you found enough before that to make it worth it. Dumping halves is so much trouble I'd have given up long before that.

I've never actually done halves. When I got into this I had so much trouble getting half boxes I just went to dimes. I've gotten 2 half boxes and they charged me $7.50 a piece. Luckily I found a ben in one and liberty in the other. It's just so much easier to get dimes for free. I'd love to get some halves though.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I usually find a couple hundred silver dimes a year, but I'm looking for the old silver canadians, my favorite dime. Gladly take an early 30's/40's over a merc. Dimes are tedious but the finds are there, althought it's not worth it if you are looking for a decent investment.
I've been asking for halves more often, and getting some 90% and a few 40's....much more satisfying. Dimes are a fun backup plan.

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Ive always done dimes as my main coin. ask for halves, usually none, then get a box of dimes. no problem to get, no problem to dump =]

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've added dimes to my rotation as well. They're always in stock and you never get a 2nd look from the teller even bringing in 1-2k at a time.

HH,
Bigheed

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a box of dimes one time (Brink's clear rolls) and it felt like kissing your sister. I'd much rather do Halves or even cents and nickels. But I'm not in it to get rich..... Guess it's whatever floats your boat ;D

HH,
Legend

buckanear

Oct 27, 2009
Results for dimes and halves around here mostly poor.Order halves weekly now.Do dimes if I have time.1or 2 nickel boxes weekly.Not unusual to score more war nickels than dimes or halves.

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing both depending on budget issues for the past couple of years. Its rare I get a skunk dime box, but nothing beats the excitement of seeing a 90% silver half in a roll.

dougbfromnorthga

Apr 10, 2011
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon & Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the sknk streak hits 20 in a row, I plan on giving boxes of halves a break & concentrating on CWR of halves & dimes. I have not had any success with boxes of dimes. No clear wrappers around me. The yellow "String" wrappers are a beeeitch to upwrap. Nickels for me are as consistant as most of your dimes tptals. 1 to 3 war nickels almost every box. HH Doug

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
I always searched loose halves. When I started doing large quantities I searched dimes first and later added nickels, and quarters, then cents and halves. I never had the results from boxes of halves, that I get from loose or machine bags. Dimes are more consistant than anything else and surprise me more often too. I have only had 1 great score with cents, 1 good score with nickels, nothing too exciting with quarters ever.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt both, sometimes I do nickels and pennies but not as often as halves and dimes. In the summer I roll hunt less, I get out and detect and hit neighborhood sales. Roll hunting isn't the only way to get silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread