My halves for this week

AFModell

Feb 27, 2006
DE
Well, I seem to have run my supplier out of boxes, only took $10000 or so. Now, they are giving me the halves in rolls, in 2 bags of $500. I find the bags much more manageable than the halves. Now theres also no more struggling to remember to keep my bag from last week to get my halves to the bank! Anyways, on to the good stuff...

My mom came to visit me, and I think I might have got her hooked to the half hunting bandwagon. Ill let ya'lll know.
Found 4 90%ers and 25 40%ers. Of the 90%ers I found 3 64s and a 1962D Franklin in pretty worn shape. Also, there is now one less 1987P out there in the world. :)

Upvote 0

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
WTG AF. Especially on the Ben and 87P. My 87P is OK but my 87D needs to be culled. Its got way to much staining. Now where are all the 1970s.

midas777gold

May 29, 2006
Went to 2 banks today. First I asked for $50 in halves, all they had were 2 rolls. The teller is about to hand em to me, when another teller yells WAIT, I WANT TO CHECK THEM FOR SILVER!!!!! The teller them proceeds to open both rolls and puls out a WL half, 1 Franklin and 1 40%. I TOLD THEM WHERE THEY COULD STUFF IT!!!!!!!!

Went to the second bank, the teller did the same thing, "I have to check these for silver". they said.

BOY, AM I PISSED!!!!!

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Lol, that is really sad... :'(

You missed out on a few ounces of silver im sorry to say.

Better luck next time, Good luck and HH!

-CC

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I think thats happening more and more these days judging from the results I get from the tellers of most banks I use. There are some other banks that I still get an occasional silver so I will still check with them but for the most part, I just order boxes. I get 2 or 3 a week from 4 different sources. I think I may be expanding those sources to include some from different towns on the chance that they will come from different depositories.

R

realmhunter

Thats really terrible.. since when are banks interested in grabbing the silver from the rolls? A roll of 50 cent pieces is worth more to a bank now because of the silver content? If this keeps up the hobby of coin roll hunting will be gone..Sad :'( RH

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Its not the banks doing it but the tellers doing it for themselves. It dosen't take much to realize the value of silver. Thats why I never mention silver when I talk to tellers. If they ask if I'm looking for silver, I just say I'm looking for old coin or errors or mint marks to fill in the collection I'm putting together for the grandkids. OH NO!! nothing to do with silver. ::) ;)

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
It is true that more and more tellers are looking thru the rolled halves for silver. I had deposited a box of
halves ($500.00) about a month ago at one bank. I went back to the back this month to deposit another box of halves. I got the same teller and she said I remember you, you brought me halves last month. She said she went thru all of those halves and didn't find any silver. She said you must collect them, I said yes I collect them as well as other halves(proofs,errors,etc...). So I proceeded to rub it in and tell her how many silver halves I have. She was shocked,and she had a handful compared to what I have found. lol

I also went to another bank last week and I saw stacks of rolled coin on the counter, there were only 5 rolls of halves. I didn't have $50.00 on me or I would asked to buy them. So I said to the teller did one person bring all of that in and she replied a few people deposited it. So then I asked about the halves, if they had looked at them, and the teller said we have a girl here that collect silver halves so there isn't any in there. Then she said they were really dirty and bad looking, but were not silver. LOL

I'm with goldinmypan, I am just searching boxes now. No sense in wasting time and gasoline driving to the banks around here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread