Didnt get skunked out of my bags today

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
Didn't get skunked out of my bags today

Went to pick up my weekly bags today and was not disappointed. Found out that my favorite teller had been moved to another shift and position after returning from her vacation. The new head teller remembered me from last week and saved the coin machine bags for me this week. She actually saved too many bags for me, but I did buy the usual 1 X 1K in dimes and 2 X $50 in pennies. The rest will likely get sold to the "fed" tomorrow morning.

Bob

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Didn't get skunked out of my bags today

Good luck with the bags!!! Hope there are many keepers, you just never know!!!

HH
BuffaloBoy

OP
OP
kb4iqm

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee

I ran the bag of 10,000 dimes through my dime hopper and sorted out all of the clads. Here's the list of what was left.

1960D roosie
1963 roosie
1987D zincoln, rim cut down to dime size
1993 Aruba 5c
2009 Bahama 1cent
1972 Canadian dime
1973 Canadian dime
1976 Canadian dime
1979 Canadian dime
1979 Canadian dime
1981 Canadian dime
1982 Canadian dime
1986 Canadian dime
1988 Canadian dime
1990 Canadian dime
1992 Canadian dime

Much better than a skunk like the halves boxes have been.

Bob

OP
OP
kb4iqm

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee

Well I did get skunked at the coin machine. I replaced the 16 coins removed with 16 dimes from an extra roll I had bought, and I added another $2 in dimes for good measure. When the teller dumped the dimes in the coin machine, it jammed and came up with a sensor error. She pulled out the dimes from the wheel, restarted the machine, and fed the rest of the dimes back in. The total count should have been $1002.00 but the counter only read $718.89

I told her there should not have been any pennies counted, since it was verified by my sorter that there was not a single penny left in the bag of dimes. She pulled all the bags from the machine and did a recount of all. The whole machine recount was only $1.20 off, so it looks like some of my dimes recounted as pennies again. At this point I asked her to document everything so when the bags get picked up today and recounted by the coin service, my missing dimes can be found and credited back to my account. I also contacted the branch I bought the bag of dimes from and alerted her to the issue so she can also double-check the numbers from their coin service.

All I can do now is hope that my missing $280+ turns up. It's not gonna break me, but it will certainly cut into my CRH'ing funds a little bit.

Bob

blkcwbyhat

Dec 3, 2010

the cut down zinclon confuses me a bit. I recall reading another post that kids would grind down a penny to fit in a pop machine as a dime.Would a coinstar or such read it as a dime? Maybe an old copper would get by as a clad dime,with the size reduced.Maybe it was done to pass in a dime roll? Were these CWR or bank rolls? Not that I'd make a fixture in my machine shop to turn pennies into dimes!

OP
OP
kb4iqm

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee

blkcwbyhat said:
the cut down zinclon confuses me a bit. I recall reading another post that kids would grind down a penny to fit in a pop machine as a dime.Would a coinstar or such read it as a dime? Maybe an old copper would get by as a clad dime,with the size reduced.Maybe it was done to pass in a dime roll? Were these CWR or bank rolls? Not that I'd make a fixture in my machine shop to turn pennies into dimes!
This was not rolls, it was a $1000 bag of dimes from the banks coin machine.

blkcwbyhat

Dec 3, 2010

so the machine "saw" it as a dime? I'd think the machine would be more electronic,like a ryedale.

OP
OP
kb4iqm

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee

blkcwbyhat said:
so the machine "saw" it as a dime? I'd think the machine would be more electronic,like a ryedale.
It seems that a few CRH'ers that dump dimes have the same issue with some dimes getting counted as pennies, or finding pennies in dime rolls once in a while. The bank coin machines here are not real sophistocated, ie they don't cull silver. If they did, I would not be wanting to buy bags of clad from the machines to hunt for silver.

The last quarter bag I bought had a bunch of nickels that had been counted as quarters. When I dumped it, it counted $2.35 higher than the $1000 that I had paid for it. I really don't trust the counters on these bank coin machines because they mix up denominations so much. But what choice do I have if I'm wanting to run higher volume of coins? Unless I buy a coin rolling machine to roll my dumps, I'm pretty much stuck using the banks machines for dumping.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread